From: Richard on
When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress line at
the bottom of my screen. A previous post response diagnosed this memory
self-test at startup as the culprit, which I reckon is correct. But I
have looked at the BIOS and can see no mention of anything remotely like
this. If it is not there and has maybe been started inadvertently by
some program I can't remember, how can I stop it?? It is infuriating.
TIA. Richard.
From: Jim on
On Sun, 02 May 2010 16:44:18 +0100, Richard <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

>When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress line at
>the bottom of my screen. A previous post response diagnosed this memory
>self-test at startup as the culprit, which I reckon is correct. But I
>have looked at the BIOS and can see no mention of anything remotely like
>this. If it is not there and has maybe been started inadvertently by
>some program I can't remember, how can I stop it?? It is infuriating.
>TIA. Richard.

Why stop it , it tells you if anything is wrong .
From: Nil on
On 02 May 2010, Richard <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in
alt.windows-xp:

> When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress
> line at the bottom of my screen. A previous post response
> diagnosed this memory self-test at startup as the culprit, which I
> reckon is correct. But I have looked at the BIOS and can see no
> mention of anything remotely like this. If it is not there and has
> maybe been started inadvertently by some program I can't remember,
> how can I stop it?? It is infuriating. TIA. Richard.

If it's the BIOS, you read the documentation for your particular
computer or motherboard... a piece of information you have declined to
tell us.

Windows XP displays its own progress bar upon startup. You can do
nothing about that except possibly to slip down startup processes so
the wait time is less.
From: relic on

"Richard" <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress line at
> the bottom of my screen. A previous post response diagnosed this memory
> self-test at startup as the culprit, which I reckon is correct. But I have
> looked at the BIOS and can see no mention of anything remotely like this.
> If it is not there and has maybe been started inadvertently by some
> program I can't remember, how can I stop it?? It is infuriating.
> TIA. Richard.

Look around in your BIOS Settings for a "Quick Boot" option. That sets the
Memory Test to a quick scan... and a shorter Boot time.

From: Richard on
On 02/05/2010 17:23, Jim wrote:
> On Sun, 02 May 2010 16:44:18 +0100, Richard<rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com>
> wrote:
>
>> When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress line at
>> the bottom of my screen. A previous post response diagnosed this memory
>> self-test at startup as the culprit, which I reckon is correct. But I
>> have looked at the BIOS and can see no mention of anything remotely like
>> this. If it is not there and has maybe been started inadvertently by
>> some program I can't remember, how can I stop it?? It is infuriating.
>> TIA. Richard.
>
> Why stop it , it tells you if anything is wrong .
Because it never used to happen and has never been needed. Also it takes
13 minutes and is a pain when I am frequently re-booting for various
reasons.