From: Raoul Watson on
Richard wrote:
> On 02/05/2010 17:23, Jim wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 May 2010 16:44:18 +0100, Richard<rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress line at
>>> the bottom of my screen. A previous post response diagnosed this memory
>>> self-test at startup as the culprit, which I reckon is correct. But I
>>> have looked at the BIOS and can see no mention of anything remotely like
>>> this. If it is not there and has maybe been started inadvertently by
>>> some program I can't remember, how can I stop it?? It is infuriating.
>>> TIA. Richard.
>>
>> Why stop it , it tells you if anything is wrong .
> Because it never used to happen and has never been needed. Also it takes
> 13 minutes and is a pain when I am frequently re-booting for various
> reasons.

I have worked in the field for over 25 years and find it really hard to
believe that the progress bar is from POST. I have never seen or heard a
POST running for 13 minutes. Even a total memory check would click
through 4Mb in less than 20 seconds.

XP does not have a progress bar until the XP screen shows up or unless
it is on the blue screen when it has to do a total disk check.

What it does sound like it PXE.. (pixie) PXE is a network redirection
service looking for a Network bootstrap program. The bars is PXE trying
to find the IP address of a bootup network. This process is time
consuming because you don't have a network boot server so the PXE will
have to time out for each service it is trying to do. Eventually,
running out of options, it will got to the next boot sequence.. and YES
this can take quite a long time.

Go in your CMOS and check your BOOT ORDER and have it CD ROM, FLOPPY,
USB, then HD but get rid of PXE.
From: Richard on
On 02/05/2010 21:00, Raoul Watson wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> On 02/05/2010 17:23, Jim wrote:

>>> Why stop it , it tells you if anything is wrong .
>> Because it never used to happen and has never been needed. Also it
>> takes 13 minutes and is a pain when I am frequently re-booting for
>> various reasons.
>
> I have worked in the field for over 25 years and find it really hard to
> believe that the progress bar is from POST. I have never seen or heard a
> POST running for 13 minutes. Even a total memory check would click
> through 4Mb in less than 20 seconds.
>
> XP does not have a progress bar until the XP screen shows up or unless
> it is on the blue screen when it has to do a total disk check.
>
> What it does sound like it PXE.. (pixie) PXE is a network redirection
> service looking for a Network bootstrap program. The bars is PXE trying
> to find the IP address of a bootup network. This process is time
> consuming because you don't have a network boot server so the PXE will
> have to time out for each service it is trying to do. Eventually,
> running out of options, it will got to the next boot sequence.. and YES
> this can take quite a long time.
>
> Go in your CMOS and check your BOOT ORDER and have it CD ROM, FLOPPY,
> USB, then HD but get rid of PXE.
Thank you Raoul,this sounds right. I asumed it was POST because that
sounded closest to what seems to be going on. I will try and change the
boot order and will report back tomorrow ( I am GMT)and must leave now.
But I can't remember seeing a PXE boot option!?? Richard.
From: Richard on
On 02/05/2010 19:32, Nil wrote:
> On 02 May 2010, Richard<rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in
> alt.windows-xp:
>
>> I don't have any documentation, but the computer is an HP Compaq
>> Presario 061 SR1519UK and the MB is a MSI Amethyst_M 1.0
>> The progress bar was not there before (has only suddenly appeared)
>> and it is not the XP progress bar, it is the memory test progress
>> bar. Thanks
>
> I looked around for a couple of minutes for a manual for that main
> board, but couldn't find one, just the dumbed-down quick-start things
> that probably came with the computer. So, I don't know what to tell you
> without being able to see the BIOS setup in action.
>
> If this just suddenly appeared, though, it makes me suspicious that
> something may be failing in the computer, perhaps the RAM. I would run
> a memory test such as Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) on the
> machine.
Thanks Nil, it seems to me Raoul's reply, above, is on the right track
although it is getting out of my depth. BTW, have done a Memtest - all
OK. Richard.
From: Richard on
On 02/05/2010 20:05, relic wrote:

> "relic" <relic211(a)cjb.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Richard" <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

>>> No settings for "Quick boot" that I can see. Where else might this be
>>> accessed? Thanks.
>>
>> My AMI BIOS has it under the "BOOT" Menu, then "Boot Settings
>> Configuration" and finally as "Quick Boot". I have my set to Disabled.
>
> btw, Quick Boot Enabled = short boot... Disabled = long memory test
> during boot,
Thanks relic - will look tomorrow, but can't remember seeing anything
like this in Boot options earlier. BTW computer is about 4/5 years old
so MB is a bit out of date by now I suppose. Richard.