From: Richard on
On 02/05/2010 17:53, relic wrote:

> "Richard" <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress line
>> at the bottom of my screen. A previous post response diagnosed this
>> memory self-test at startup as the culprit, which I reckon is correct.
>> But I have looked at the BIOS and can see no mention of anything
>> remotely like this. If it is not there and has maybe been started
>> inadvertently by some program I can't remember, how can I stop it?? It
>> is infuriating.
>> TIA. Richard.
>
> Look around in your BIOS Settings for a "Quick Boot" option. That sets
> the Memory Test to a quick scan... and a shorter Boot time.
No settings for "Quick boot" that I can see. Where else might this be
accessed? Thanks.
From: Richard on
On 02/05/2010 17:24, Nil wrote:
> On 02 May 2010, Richard<rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in
> alt.windows-xp:
>
>> When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress
>> line at the bottom of my screen. A previous post response
>> diagnosed this memory self-test at startup as the culprit, which I
>> reckon is correct. But I have looked at the BIOS and can see no
>> mention of anything remotely like this. If it is not there and has
>> maybe been started inadvertently by some program I can't remember,
>> how can I stop it?? It is infuriating. TIA. Richard.
>
> If it's the BIOS, you read the documentation for your particular
> computer or motherboard... a piece of information you have declined to
> tell us.
>
> Windows XP displays its own progress bar upon startup. You can do
> nothing about that except possibly to slip down startup processes so
> the wait time is less.

I don't have any documentation, but the computer is an HP Compaq
Presario 061 SR1519UK and the MB is a MSI Amethyst_M 1.0
The progress bar was not there before (has only suddenly appeared) and
it is not the XP progress bar, it is the memory test progress bar. Thanks
From: Nil on
On 02 May 2010, Richard <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in
alt.windows-xp:

> I don't have any documentation, but the computer is an HP Compaq
> Presario 061 SR1519UK and the MB is a MSI Amethyst_M 1.0
> The progress bar was not there before (has only suddenly appeared)
> and it is not the XP progress bar, it is the memory test progress
> bar. Thanks

I looked around for a couple of minutes for a manual for that main
board, but couldn't find one, just the dumbed-down quick-start things
that probably came with the computer. So, I don't know what to tell you
without being able to see the BIOS setup in action.

If this just suddenly appeared, though, it makes me suspicious that
something may be failing in the computer, perhaps the RAM. I would run
a memory test such as Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) on the
machine.
From: relic on

> On 02/05/2010 17:53, relic wrote:
>>
>> "Richard" <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>> When I turn the computer on I get a crawling white bar progress line
>>> at the bottom of my screen. A previous post response diagnosed this
>>> memory self-test at startup as the culprit, which I reckon is correct.
>>> But I have looked at the BIOS and can see no mention of anything
>>> remotely like this. If it is not there and has maybe been started
>>> inadvertently by some program I can't remember, how can I stop it?? It
>>> is infuriating.
>>> TIA. Richard.
>>
>> Look around in your BIOS Settings for a "Quick Boot" option. That sets
>> the Memory Test to a quick scan... and a shorter Boot time.
> No settings for "Quick boot" that I can see. Where else might this be
> accessed? Thanks.

My AMI BIOS has it under the "BOOT" Menu, then "Boot Settings Configuration"
and finally as "Quick Boot". I have my set to Disabled.

From: relic on

"relic" <relic211(a)cjb.net> wrote in message

> "Richard" <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> On 02/05/2010 17:53, relic wrote:
>>>
>>> "Richard" <rsully(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Look around in your BIOS Settings for a "Quick Boot" option. That sets
>>> the Memory Test to a quick scan... and a shorter Boot time.
>> No settings for "Quick boot" that I can see. Where else might this be
>> accessed? Thanks.
>
> My AMI BIOS has it under the "BOOT" Menu, then "Boot Settings
> Configuration" and finally as "Quick Boot". I have my set to Disabled.

btw, Quick Boot Enabled = short boot... Disabled = long memory test during
boot,