From: mjt on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:27:06 -0600
Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> The format appears to be vfat (fat32) but if there are any .jpg
> files they are stored in another format.

At a CLI, you could execute "mount" to show the
filesystem type, to be sure.

What photo-processing software was she using on Windows?

--
Rule of Defactualization:
Information deteriorates upward through bureaucracies.

From: mjt on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:27:06 -0600
Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> if there are any .jpg
> files they are stored in another format.

Another thought ... if she does as I do, I strictly
shoot in RAW format, download those, do post-processing,
then, if required, I export to PNG (not JPG).

--
There is nothing wrong with Southern California that a rise
in the ocean level wouldn't cure. - Ross MacDonald

From: Will Honea on
mjt wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:27:06 -0600
> Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The format appears to be vfat (fat32) but if there are any .jpg
>> files they are stored in another format.
>
> At a CLI, you could execute "mount" to show the
> filesystem type, to be sure.

That's where I got the info to begin with.

> What photo-processing software was she using on Windows?

According to her, the files she "lost" were all .jpg, so the creator should
- in theory - be irrelevant. The more I look at this the more I'm convinced
that she used one of the backup programs from the USB device and did a
backup vs. a simple copy. She is, shall we say, clueless about how the
"save" was done. I'm guessing it was "Oh, there's a program to backup my
photos! 'CLICK'". Since it was likely a backup and I don't know what else
she backed up, I want to isolate whatever I use to run the restore. I know
for sure one of the contributors to her decision to replace the Win laptop
was the fact that I scanned it and it was rife with malware so I'd just as
soon keep the process quarantined when I do it.

--
Will Honea

From: J. van der Waa on
Will Honea wrote:
> mjt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:27:06 -0600
>> Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The format appears to be vfat (fat32) but if there are any .jpg
>>> files they are stored in another format.
>> At a CLI, you could execute "mount" to show the
>> filesystem type, to be sure.
>
> That's where I got the info to begin with.
>
>> What photo-processing software was she using on Windows?
>
> According to her, the files she "lost" were all .jpg, so the creator should
> - in theory - be irrelevant. The more I look at this the more I'm convinced
> that she used one of the backup programs from the USB device and did a
> backup vs. a simple copy. She is, shall we say, clueless about how the
> "save" was done. I'm guessing it was "Oh, there's a program to backup my
> photos! 'CLICK'". Since it was likely a backup and I don't know what else
> she backed up, I want to isolate whatever I use to run the restore. I know
> for sure one of the contributors to her decision to replace the Win laptop
> was the fact that I scanned it and it was rife with malware so I'd just as
> soon keep the process quarantined when I do it.

Just search for the last modified files
Given the fact that there are 2 how-to's on the disk for MS and Apple, I
wouldn't be surprised that the backup program is also available for the
Mac.
Did you read the how-to for the Mac on the disk?

Success,

Joost
From: David Bolt on
On Friday 23 Jul 2010 22:24, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
mjt painted this mural:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:27:06 -0600
> Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> if there are any .jpg
>> files they are stored in another format.
>
> Another thought ... if she does as I do, I strictly
> shoot in RAW format, download those, do post-processing,
> then, if required, I export to PNG (not JPG).

Totally unrelated to the OPs problem...

My preference is to save in RAW+JPG, and with a 16GB card space isn't
much of an issue. If I need to do any post processing[0], I'll use the
RAW. If not, I'll pass on the JPG from the camera to whoever I'm
sharing it with and keep a hold of the RAW file. That way, they can
crop to the sizes they want. And if I need to, I can prove pretty well
that I have the copyright on the image because I'm the one with the
RAW. Also, while JPG is a lossy format, it compresses files a lot more
than PNG.

[0] Most of the time, I don't do post processing. The only time I do is
when I'm wanting to print out some pictures, and then I try to make
them look good on paper. I don't bother for those that are only likely
to be displayed on screen.

Regards,
David Bolt

--