From: mjt on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:49:22 -0500
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone notice a difference in the time it takes to get
> from "grub to desktop" for 11.3, as compared to 11.2?
>
> I'm going to check the logs and do some browsing around
> the system to see what's taking the extra time. I haven't
> timed 11.2 or 11.3, but I can say 11.3 is noticeably slower.
[...]

> So, I did a "stop-watch" timing of 11.2 and 11.3 ...
> 11.2 = 32 seconds and 11.3 = 60 seconds.

After boot-up and in KDE, I jumped to "console-F10"
to see what messages there might be. I noticed long
delays with the kernel trying to communicate with
"eth1" and "fd0".

I thought ... "I don't have a floppy drive and
I don't use eth1 ... eth0 is the active NIC".
(My machine has 2 ethernet ports).

So I decided to reboot the system and jump into
the BIOS to check the settings. "Floppy Disk"
was "enabled" and the "Nvidia NIC" was enabled
(it's the *other* ethernet port that's not used).

So I disabled the F.D. and Nvidia NIC in the BIOS.

Rebooted the system ... GRUB to "usable desktop"
is about 35 seconds, which is comparable to 11.2.

I'll investigate further to see if I can get the
boot time faster :)

So, two issues:
* Floppy disk enabled in BIOS
* eth1 enabled in BIOS (eth0 is the working NIC)

I never had this issue with openSUSE 11.2. Apparently,
with 11.3, it checks for all hardware reported by the
BIOS and attempts to communicate with it.

When I was booted into the system and saw the attempts
to communicate with eth1 (invalid port), I attempted
to run Yast -> Network -> Network Settings, and it
would hang at 55% ... Network Settings never displayed.
My intent was to delete the "eth1" device - this led
to me going into the BIOS and changing the settings.

Collaboration, n.:
A literary partnership based on the false assumption
that the other fellow can spell.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>