From: mjt on
Scenarios:

a) Click on a word processor document,
Writer starts, displays document
b) Start Writer (from menu), Writer displays empty document
c) Writer started, empty document, "open recent document"

In scenario (a) and (b), Writer does not become
"available" for 10-15 seconds. IOW, I can not work
with the document (can't click in the document area)
for 10+ seconds. I also notice that the "menu bar"
(you know, File..Edit..View..Insert...) is not
displayed during this timeframe.

Also, Writer pegs the CPU at about 95% during this delay.
AAMOF, Writer continue to peg CPU around 95% for a few
seconds after the menu bar and document are available,
then it drops to about 30% CPU for a couple of seconds,
then it drops off (using 'top' to monitor it).

In scenario (c), it takes 3-5 seconds before the
document becomes "available".

I don't have this issue with openSUSE 11.2.
Impress and Calc do not have this delay (under 11.3)

Anyone else?

--
Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child -- if you parboil
them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.

From: mjt on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:20:08 -0500
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have this issue with openSUSE 11.2.
> Impress and Calc do not have this delay (under 11.3)
>
> Anyone else?

Updated OOo using "OOo unstable" repo ... same characteristics ...

--
Immortality -- a fate worse than death.
- Edgar A. Shoaff

From: Jan de Weerd on
On 07/23/2010 10:20 PM, mjt wrote:
> Scenarios:
>
> a) Click on a word processor document,
> Writer starts, displays document
> b) Start Writer (from menu), Writer displays empty document
> c) Writer started, empty document, "open recent document"
>
> In scenario (a) and (b), Writer does not become
> "available" for 10-15 seconds. IOW, I can not work
> with the document (can't click in the document area)
> for 10+ seconds. I also notice that the "menu bar"
> (you know, File..Edit..View..Insert...) is not
> displayed during this timeframe.
>
> Also, Writer pegs the CPU at about 95% during this delay.
> AAMOF, Writer continue to peg CPU around 95% for a few
> seconds after the menu bar and document are available,
> then it drops to about 30% CPU for a couple of seconds,
> then it drops off (using 'top' to monitor it).
>
> In scenario (c), it takes 3-5 seconds before the
> document becomes "available".
>
> I don't have this issue with openSUSE 11.2.
> Impress and Calc do not have this delay (under 11.3)
>
> Anyone else?

Similar behavior here. In openSUSE 11.2 I had this the last weeks before
I installed 11.3. Probably due to some kind of update.
From: Jim Adamthwaite on
Did Open office have a "preload" or "quick start" option at one stage?
Can't remember where I saw it, but if Java runtime package startup is
significant, there may be gains here. Maybe a squizz in yast2 run-level
services might help too.

You do not want to prestart too much though if you do not use them all
the time. Some things like MySQL can noticeably bog down bootups.
From: mjt on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:28:59 +1000
Jim Adamthwaite <secad(a)netspace.net.au> wrote:

> Did Open office have a "preload" or "quick start" option at one
> stage? Can't remember where I saw it, but if Java runtime package
> startup is significant, there may be gains here. Maybe a squizz in
> yast2 run-level services might help too.
>
> You do not want to prestart too much though if you do not use them
> all the time. Some things like MySQL can noticeably bog down bootups.

I don't run the "pre-load" stuff. As mentioned in
another reply, in openSUSE 11.2, from "click on
a document in Dolphin" to "editable document" is
about 3-4 seconds. About the same on Mac OSx. But
on 11.3, it's about 15 seconds.

--
All this wheeling and dealing around, why, it isn't for money,
it's for fun. Money's just the way we keep score.