From: Vahis on
On 2010-07-23, Vahis <waxborg(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-07-23, Vahis <waxborg(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The audio is either/or, the one that's on will keep it for itself.
>
> This goes with _all_ audio sources.
> When any application uses audio, no other can.
>>
>> It looks like messing with one guest somehow broke the VirtualBox itself
>> and now there's something wrong in its files somewhere.
>
> Now it looks like this is not about virtual box.

It wasn't.

> My audio system is broken, single user, single tasking :(

I stopped Kmix, then I removed two config files I thought were his:

~/.kde4/share/config/kmixctrlrc
~/.kde4/share/config/kmixrc

Started Kmix again and: Solved.

I thought the files would reappear but they haven't.
Maybe they were not needed anymore, who knows...

I can now have all audio sources producing sound simultaneously
(well, I tried two on the host and one in guest)

>This is bad.

I thought it was :)

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.2-default
From: Darrell Stec on
Vahis wrote:

> On 2010-07-23, Vahis <waxborg(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2010-07-23, Vahis <waxborg(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> The audio is either/or, the one that's on will keep it for itself.
>>
>> This goes with _all_ audio sources.
>> When any application uses audio, no other can.
>>>
>>> It looks like messing with one guest somehow broke the VirtualBox itself
>>> and now there's something wrong in its files somewhere.
>>
>> Now it looks like this is not about virtual box.
>
> It wasn't.
>
>> My audio system is broken, single user, single tasking :(
>
> I stopped Kmix, then I removed two config files I thought were his:
>
> ~/.kde4/share/config/kmixctrlrc
> ~/.kde4/share/config/kmixrc
>
> Started Kmix again and: Solved.
>
> I thought the files would reappear but they haven't.
> Maybe they were not needed anymore, who knows...
>
> I can now have all audio sources producing sound simultaneously
> (well, I tried two on the host and one in guest)
>
>>This is bad.
>
> I thought it was :)
>
> Vahis

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm sure you aren't going to be the only person
to encounter a problem like this.

--
Later,
Darrell
From: Vahis on
On 2010-07-23, Darrell Stec <darstec(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> Vahis wrote:

>>> My audio system is broken, single user, single tasking :(
>>
>> I stopped Kmix, then I removed two config files I thought were his:
>>
>> ~/.kde4/share/config/kmixctrlrc
>> ~/.kde4/share/config/kmixrc
>>
>> Started Kmix again and: Solved.
>>
>> I thought the files would reappear but they haven't.
>> Maybe they were not needed anymore, who knows...
>>
>> I can now have all audio sources producing sound simultaneously
>> (well, I tried two on the host and one in guest)
>>
>>>This is bad.
>>
>> I thought it was :)
>>
>> Vahis
>
> Thanks for the follow-up. I'm sure you aren't going to be the only person
> to encounter a problem like this.

Still an addition afterwards:
I opened Kmix settings window.
I let it be as it was since everything was working.

Those files reappeared.
So obviously it was something in them.

I've seen it before that removing or renaming /kde stuff fixes problems.
This was one of those times again :)

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-default