From: Johnny B Good on
The message <VA.000015e8.820450f9(a)nospam.aaisp.org>
from Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> contains these words:

====snip====

> Cheers,
> Daniel.

Officially, USB power is limited to a max, negotiated, of 500mA per
socket, with an unnegotiated 100mA limit. In practice, IME (and as far
as all the many PC motherboards I've dealt with), the power is simply
fed via a 3A polyfuse (or not, in the case of most, if not all, PC Chips
MoBos) straight to the 5v pin of whatever number of ports there happen
to be available in the I/O shield region, including the 5v pins of the
PS/2 sockets (and possibly the MoBo usb headers as well).

Notebooks are the most likely place you'd expect USB port power
limitations to actually be applied but even here, a simple polyfuse
protected 5v bus may be all that is employed to distribute power to the
USB ports. IOW, no current limit other than the 3.5 to 4 amp trip of the
polyfuse (or whatever the cct trace or smd inductor happens to burn out
at on a PC Chips MoBo ;-).

Assuming you're plugging into USB sockets that strictly enforce the
current limits, the max your "2 x USB" plugged lead can supply is 600mA
(500mA negotiated on the real data lead and an additional 100mA
unnegotiated from the 'extra power' plug).

What I've found is that it's the voltage fed from the USB ports that
seems to cause the most problem with USB powered devices. Even when it
is within the +/- 5% PSU tolerance range (let alone the +/-10% component
tolerance range) external USB 2.5 inch hard disks can throw errors,
notably when the voltage is on the low side of the range (just 1% low
seems enough to cause trouble).

Slightly low 5v is more likely in MoBos that use this rail to power the
CPU's VRM (Typically, the older socket A boards and their VIA chipsets -
probably the main reason for VIA's bad rep with USB powered devices such
as those infamous Speedtouch modems[1]).

The P4 intel chipped boards had less trouble since they universally
made use of the 12v rail to power the CPU's VRM (with some better MoBo
designs allowing the on-board 5v rail to be automatically used in the
absence of a 4 pin 12v connection). This meant that the 5v rail had a
better chance of being in the -0/+5% tolerance range and, therefore,
less likely to fall foul of the out of spec voltage requirements of a
lot of USB powered devices.

[1] It has to be said that what is "infamous" about the Speedtouch modem
is the fact that such an obscenity (of usb interfaced madness) should
exist at all. As far as the limitations of USB goes, the Speedtouch was
actually quite good if its use with Linux drivers is any guide. The
problem with the current versions of USB is that it is a kludge of an
interface with no pedigree whatsoever and I could quite cheerfully put a
gun to the head of whoever was responsible and squeeze the trigger.

--
Regards, John.

Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.

From: Daniel James on
In article news:<31303030373730364943097208(a)plugzetnet.co.uk>, Johnny B
Good wrote:
> Assuming you're plugging into USB sockets that strictly enforce the
> current limits, the max your "2 x USB" plugged lead can supply is 600mA
> (500mA negotiated on the real data lead and an additional 100mA
> unnegotiated from the 'extra power' plug).

Good point ... I'd completely overlooked the fact that the 'dumb' power
lead would only get (or, I should say, could only rely on) the
unnegotiated 100mA. (Duh!)

Thanks for your other thoughts, too.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:53:46 +0000, Daniel James wrote:

> Good point ... I'd completely overlooked the fact that the 'dumb' power
> lead would only get (or, I should say, could only rely on) the
> unnegotiated 100mA. (Duh!)

Hmmm, its surprising that nobody has yet made a 'dumb' USB power cord
adapter to fool the socket into supplying 500 mA.

It would be at least as useful as certain other USB devices, e.g.humping-
dog memory sticks, USB-chargeable NiMH AA cells or USB controlled missile
launchers.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Bruce Stephens on
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> writes:

[...]

> Hmmm, its surprising that nobody has yet made a 'dumb' USB power cord
> adapter to fool the socket into supplying 500 mA.

I have several. I've got a USB to Nintendo DS Lite, USB to PSP, and
some others. Those provide purely power, not data.

Such things make lots of sense (IMHO) while manufacturers continue
making gratuitously different power sockets.

[...]
From: Johnny B Good on
The message <VA.000015f0.8c2c66dc(a)nospam.aaisp.org>
from Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> contains these words:

> In article news:<31303030373730364943097208(a)plugzetnet.co.uk>, Johnny B
> Good wrote:
> > Assuming you're plugging into USB sockets that strictly enforce the
> > current limits, the max your "2 x USB" plugged lead can supply is 600mA
> > (500mA negotiated on the real data lead and an additional 100mA
> > unnegotiated from the 'extra power' plug).

> Good point ... I'd completely overlooked the fact that the 'dumb' power
> lead would only get (or, I should say, could only rely on) the
> unnegotiated 100mA. (Duh!)

> Thanks for your other thoughts, too.

It was my pleasure to impart my experiences of usb (in particular,
laptop 2.5 inch drives in 3rd party USB2 enclosures). The funny thing
is, I've had less problems using drives that state 700mA and even 1A
requirements than with those which specify 600mA. Make of that what you
will. Personally, I think the newer, larger capacity drives are more
voltage critical than the older 3 to 40GB capacity 1 amp guzzlers.