From: Daniel James on
In article news:<gi3itc$1lg$1(a)localhost.localdomain>, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
> Hmmm, its surprising that nobody has yet made a 'dumb' USB power cord
> adapter to fool the socket into supplying 500 mA.

It's not a matter of fooling the socket into supplying the higher
current. The socket either supplies it or it doesn't, the point is that
the device mustn't draw more than 100mA unless and until it has
negotiated with the device and been given permission to draw more.

You would therefore have to design a 'smart' USB power cord that could
perform the required negotiation with the USB host and arrange for the
peripheral to draw power at the higher level if negotiation was
successful and at the lower power otherwise.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:24:42 +0000, Daniel James wrote:

> You would therefore have to design a 'smart' USB power cord that could
> perform the required negotiation with the USB host and arrange for the
> peripheral to draw power at the higher level if negotiation was
> successful and at the lower power otherwise.

Thats what I meant: I was using 'dumb' as a short-hand for a mini-brick
with USB plug on one end and USB socket on the other, IOW no useful
function except to supply more than 100 mA via its socket.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Daniel James on
In article news:<gib6ka$af8$4(a)localhost.localdomain>, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
> Thats what I meant: I was using 'dumb' as a short-hand for a
> mini-brick with USB plug on one end and USB socket on the other,
> IOW no useful function except to supply more than 100 mA via its
> socket.

IIUYC that still wouldn't help.

A correctly-designed USB device will either negotiate for 500mA or will
draw only up to 100mA. Any device that can't negotiate should be
designed not to draw more than 100mA.

If you connect a 'dumb' USB device (one that can't negotiate) via a
'smart' cable (one that can perform the negotiation itself) to a PC
which can supply 500mA the PC will happily make 500mA available ... but
the device still won't draw more than 100mA because it doesn't know
that negotiation has taken place.

The secondary power USB cable of the LG "USB Powered" DVD-writer we
were discussing doesn't connect to the drive with a USB connector, but
with a simple centre-positive push-in barrel connector (marked "DC IN
5V").

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-18, Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

> In article news:<gib6ka$af8$4(a)localhost.localdomain>, Martin Gregorie
> wrote:
>> Thats what I meant: I was using 'dumb' as a short-hand for a
>> mini-brick with USB plug on one end and USB socket on the other,
>> IOW no useful function except to supply more than 100 mA via its
>> socket.
>
> IIUYC that still wouldn't help.
>
> A correctly-designed USB device will either negotiate for 500mA or will
> draw only up to 100mA. Any device that can't negotiate should be
> designed not to draw more than 100mA.

If you ever find a correctly-designed USB device let us know so we can
gather around it and gawp ;-)

I have numerous USB recharging cables, just a USB plug on one end and
a jack plug on the other, and the two devices at either end are left
to sort it out, thankfully it all works well! From the speed of
recharging of some of the devices, it looks like it's being supplied
with more than 100mA. One of them is a NiMH AA recharger, 4x AA cells
being recharged at about 400mA total according to the docs.

Thankfully the widescale flouting of the USB regs hasn't resulted in
any fried USB ports for me yet!

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:23:14 +0000, Daniel James wrote:

> The secondary power USB cable of the LG "USB Powered" DVD-writer we were
> discussing doesn't connect to the drive with a USB connector, but with a
> simple centre-positive push-in barrel connector (marked "DC IN 5V").

I have a Formac 2.5" HDD with two USB plugs, which is the arrangement I
thought we were discussing. It communicates with one of them and gets
additional power from a USB 1.0 rig via the second, which isn't needed if
the PC uses USB 2.0.

My hypothetical microbrick would go between the second cable and the PC
(if it was a stand-alone) or replace the second plug and would be just
bright enough to do the negotiation and then supply power to the device
on the first plug.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK