From: JL on
Some friends of mine are coming over from France and want a UK PAYG
SIM to put in their 2G phone for the time they're here. Easy enough
for me as I can order one free and send out to them.

Originally I had thought I'd send a Voda SIM. They'll be travelling
around the UK for a month, towns, country, national parks etc. and I
thought the Voda coverage would be best.
However, looking at the coverage maps and sitefinder website for
different areas there seem to be more O2 and Orange masts placed in
rural places. More often than not, if only one provider worked in an
rural area, it appeared to be Orange. I have an Orange phone and
wouldn't say coverage was superb but even in my area the sitefinder
website shows many more Orange masts in general??

So...although it depends on location, should I pick an Orange SIM to
send them instead? I'm looking for the best for the UK as a whole.
Cost is relatively unimportant.

TIA
From: Steve Terry on
"JL" <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message
> Some friends of mine are coming over from France and want a UK PAYG
> SIM to put in their 2G phone for the time they're here. Easy enough
> for me as I can order one free and send out to them.
>
> Originally I had thought I'd send a Voda SIM. They'll be travelling
> around the UK for a month, towns, country, national parks etc. and I
> thought the Voda coverage would be best.
> However, looking at the coverage maps and sitefinder website for
> different areas there seem to be more O2 and Orange masts placed in
> rural places. More often than not, if only one provider worked in an
> rural area, it appeared to be Orange. I have an Orange phone and
> wouldn't say coverage was superb but even in my area the sitefinder
> website shows many more Orange masts in general??
>
> So...although it depends on location, should I pick an Orange SIM to
> send them instead? I'm looking for the best for the UK as a whole.
> Cost is relatively unimportant.
> TIA

Send them an Lycamobile 075 (Orange network) sim
cheaper than Orange for UK calls (10p UK Mobile, 5p UK landines,
(and 15p French mobile and 4p French landline,)

Lycamobile automated Customer Service info can be switched to
French.

Unlike Orange they'are pre-registered ready to go.

Not so easy to find now Lycamobile Plus have moved to 074 O2
network, but this dealer has them:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lycamobile-UK-Sim-Card-Cheap-International-Calls-/220545413478?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item335987f166

Don't expect Lycamobile to honour the �2 registration bonus

Lycamobile top ups can be bought from almost all supermarkets

"The Futures bright, the Future's Lycamobile" (at least until the 075 sims
run out)

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Woody on
"Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote in message
> "JL" <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message
>> Some friends of mine are coming over from France and want a UK
>> PAYG
>> SIM to put in their 2G phone for the time they're here. Easy
>> enough
>> for me as I can order one free and send out to them.
>>
>> Originally I had thought I'd send a Voda SIM. They'll be
>> travelling
>> around the UK for a month, towns, country, national parks etc.
>> and I
>> thought the Voda coverage would be best.
>> However, looking at the coverage maps and sitefinder website
>> for
>> different areas there seem to be more O2 and Orange masts
>> placed in
>> rural places. More often than not, if only one provider worked
>> in an
>> rural area, it appeared to be Orange. I have an Orange phone
>> and
>> wouldn't say coverage was superb but even in my area the
>> sitefinder
>> website shows many more Orange masts in general??
>>
>> So...although it depends on location, should I pick an Orange
>> SIM to
>> send them instead? I'm looking for the best for the UK as a
>> whole.
>> Cost is relatively unimportant.
>> TIA
>>

> Send them an Lycamobile 075 (Orange network) sim
> cheaper than Orange for UK calls (10p UK Mobile, 5p UK
> landines,
> (and 15p French mobile and 4p French landline,)
>
> Lycamobile automated Customer Service info can be switched to
> French.
>
> Unlike Orange they'are pre-registered ready to go.
>
> Not so easy to find now Lycamobile Plus have moved to 074 O2
> network, but this dealer has them:
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lycamobile-UK-Sim-Card-Cheap-International-Calls-/220545413478?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item335987f166
>
> Don't expect Lycamobile to honour the �2 registration bonus
>
> Lycamobile top ups can be bought from almost all supermarkets
>
> "The Futures bright, the Future's Lycamobile" (at least until
> the 075 sims run out)
>
> Steve Terry
> --
> Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
> http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

Interesting original and comment.

Generally speaking Orange has its problems especially in handoff.
It also has many serious holes in coverage - Yorkshire for one!

Having been on both O2 and Voda in the past I would always go for
Voda as O2 is prone to dropping calls for no apparent reason.
Having said that O2 coverage away from urban areas has always
been some of the best, with Orange close behind.

We've just been in Northumbria for a week and had coverage in
outlying areas with Orange where there was none with O2 or Voda.

On balance I would suggest to the OP that they get an Asda SIM as
their calls are some of the cheapest (8p landline/mobile, 4p
text) and are on the Voda network. Most of their rural and much
of their urban coverage is at 900MHz and higher power so tends to
have less holes than the 1800MHz or 3G systems.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

From: tony sayer on
In article <b6d74ac5-9cc5-46de-a749-3a13aa66054a(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroup
s.com>, JL <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> scribeth thus
>Some friends of mine are coming over from France and want a UK PAYG
>SIM to put in their 2G phone for the time they're here. Easy enough
>for me as I can order one free and send out to them.
>
>Originally I had thought I'd send a Voda SIM. They'll be travelling
>around the UK for a month, towns, country, national parks etc. and I
>thought the Voda coverage would be best.
>However, looking at the coverage maps and sitefinder website for
>different areas there seem to be more O2 and Orange masts placed in
>rural places. More often than not, if only one provider worked in an
>rural area, it appeared to be Orange. I have an Orange phone and
>wouldn't say coverage was superb but even in my area the sitefinder
>website shows many more Orange masts in general??
>
>So...although it depends on location, should I pick an Orange SIM to
>send them instead? I'm looking for the best for the UK as a whole.
>Cost is relatively unimportant.
>
>TIA

Orange will need more base station as they operate at higher frequencies
where losses are higher. O2 has never struck me as being that good I
reckon Voda are the least worse..
--
Tony Sayer

From: tony sayer on
In article <i08jr1$eq5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Steve Terry
<gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> scribeth thus
>"JL" <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message
>> Some friends of mine are coming over from France and want a UK PAYG
>> SIM to put in their 2G phone for the time they're here. Easy enough
>> for me as I can order one free and send out to them.
>>
>> Originally I had thought I'd send a Voda SIM. They'll be travelling
>> around the UK for a month, towns, country, national parks etc. and I
>> thought the Voda coverage would be best.
>> However, looking at the coverage maps and sitefinder website for
>> different areas there seem to be more O2 and Orange masts placed in
>> rural places. More often than not, if only one provider worked in an
>> rural area, it appeared to be Orange. I have an Orange phone and
>> wouldn't say coverage was superb but even in my area the sitefinder
>> website shows many more Orange masts in general??
>>
>> So...although it depends on location, should I pick an Orange SIM to
>> send them instead? I'm looking for the best for the UK as a whole.
>> Cost is relatively unimportant.
>> TIA
>>

>Send them an Lycamobile 075 (Orange network) sim
>cheaper than Orange for UK calls (10p UK Mobile, 5p UK landines,
>(and 15p French mobile and 4p French landline,)
>
>Lycamobile automated Customer Service info can be switched to
>French.
>
>Unlike Orange they'are pre-registered ready to go.
>
>Not so easy to find now Lycamobile Plus have moved to 074 O2
>network, but this dealer has them:
>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lycamobile-UK-Sim-Card-Cheap-International-Calls-
>/220545413478?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item335987
>f166
>
>Don't expect Lycamobile to honour the �2 registration bonus
>
>Lycamobile top ups can be bought from almost all supermarkets
>
>"The Futures bright, the Future's Lycamobile" (at least until the 075 sims
>run out)
>
>Steve Terry

Be all that as it may but how does that affect UK coverage?..
--
Tony Sayer

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5