From: Dave on
On Apr 2, 11:22 am, Phil McCrackin <fxd...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just recently, the networking icon in the system tray has a red "X"
> through it.  Ordinarily, this would mean that there is a problem with
> connectivity, right?  However, I am having no problems with internet
> connectivity either through my wired network or my wireless network.  I
> am running Charter broadband with a Linksys cable modem and Linksys
> cable/DSL router.  Attached to the router is a US Robotics wireless
> access point.  I have run all the "troubleshooting" routines in Windows
> 7 (that I know of) and nothing comes up as being problematic.
> Like I said, there is no connectivity problem with either this desktop,
> the desktop located in a lower level of the house that I have on the
> wired network, and no problem with wireless connectivity to two Apple
> iTouch units, or an Acer Aspire One net book.
>
> Any guesses as to what could be wrong and what I can do to rid myself of
> the "X"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

First...have you rebooted. I have had this happen with my wireless
that showed not connected and I actually was (I had no wired
connection).
A reboot fixed it.

Second...could you possible have more than on network connection
in you computer. This would explain it. Just disable the 2nd
device
and it should not show the red x.

One last question...when you put the mouse over the red x
what is displayed. You may have to double click to see it.

Best wishes.

Dave
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Any guesses as to what could be wrong and what I can do to
> rid myself of the "X"?

You have two separate network adapters in your system--one for the
wired connection and another one for wireless connections.

You are probably only using one at a time, and the one that is not in
use may well have an "X" since it's not likely that you are connected
to it.

Short of disabling the network adapter that you are not using at the
time, I don't think there is a way to permanently suppress the "X"
that Windows displays in the system tray. You would also have to
manually turn the adapter back on later if you plan to use it.
However:

1. There is a setting that lets you decide whether or not you wish to
be notified when Windows has determined that your network connection
is up but not fully functional (the "limited or no connectivity"
message).

2. If you have enabled the option that lets Windows hide certain icons
in the system tray after they haven't been used for a while, the "X"
icon might disappear. If you later happened to interact with it, or
turned that option off, it would show up again.

William
From: Phil McCrackin on
On 4/2/2010 10:38 AM, Dave wrote:
> On Apr 2, 11:22 am, Phil McCrackin<fxd...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Just recently, the networking icon in the system tray has a red "X"
>> through it. Ordinarily, this would mean that there is a problem with
>> connectivity, right? However, I am having no problems with internet
>> connectivity either through my wired network or my wireless network. I
>> am running Charter broadband with a Linksys cable modem and Linksys
>> cable/DSL router. Attached to the router is a US Robotics wireless
>> access point. I have run all the "troubleshooting" routines in Windows
>> 7 (that I know of) and nothing comes up as being problematic.
>> Like I said, there is no connectivity problem with either this desktop,
>> the desktop located in a lower level of the house that I have on the
>> wired network, and no problem with wireless connectivity to two Apple
>> iTouch units, or an Acer Aspire One net book.
>>
>> Any guesses as to what could be wrong and what I can do to rid myself of
>> the "X"?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark
>
> First...have you rebooted. I have had this happen with my wireless
> that showed not connected and I actually was (I had no wired
> connection).
> A reboot fixed it.
>
> Second...could you possible have more than on network connection
> in you computer. This would explain it. Just disable the 2nd
> device
> and it should not show the red x.
>
> One last question...when you put the mouse over the red x
> what is displayed. You may have to double click to see it.
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Dave

Dave,

Yeah... I've rebooted several times. I've also unplugged power and
ethernet cables to modem/router/access point a number of times and
replugged to ensure a good connection. I've checked all cables
throughout the network.

When I put the cursor over the red x, the message I get is a small
rectangular box, and within it reads two short lines: "Network 3" (top
line) and below that line, "Internet access".

From: Phil McCrackin on
On 4/2/2010 11:31 AM, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Any guesses as to what could be wrong and what I can do to
>> rid myself of the "X"?
>
> You have two separate network adapters in your system--one for the
> wired connection and another one for wireless connections.
>
> You are probably only using one at a time, and the one that is not in
> use may well have an "X" since it's not likely that you are connected
> to it.
>
> Short of disabling the network adapter that you are not using at the
> time, I don't think there is a way to permanently suppress the "X"
> that Windows displays in the system tray. You would also have to
> manually turn the adapter back on later if you plan to use it.
> However:
>
> 1. There is a setting that lets you decide whether or not you wish to
> be notified when Windows has determined that your network connection
> is up but not fully functional (the "limited or no connectivity"
> message).
>
> 2. If you have enabled the option that lets Windows hide certain icons
> in the system tray after they haven't been used for a while, the "X"
> icon might disappear. If you later happened to interact with it, or
> turned that option off, it would show up again.
>
> William

William,

Where might the settings you mention in #'s 1 and 2 (above) be located?

Thanks!
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Where might the settings you mention in #'s 1 and 2 (above) be
> located?

Setting # 1 is found by going into the Network Connections folder.
Right click the connection whose settings you want to adjust and
choose "Properties". From there, you will see what adapter this
affects (the name of the adapter should give you an idea of whether it
is wired or wireless, as Windows gives each connection a generic name,
such as "Local Area Connection") and you will also see at the bottom
of the box the setting for "notify me when this connection has limited
or no connectivity".

You can also choose whether or not to see the connection icon when you
are connected.

Depending upon how your start menu is set up, you may have to go into
the Control Panel to find "Network Connections".

Setting #2 is found by right clicking the Start button and choosing
"Properties". On the "Taskbar" tab in the window that appears, you may
place a checkmark in the box that says "Hide Inactive Icons". When
enabled, this watches the icons in the system tray and hides those you
are not regularly using.

I have that setting turned off (because I much prefer to see all the
icons in the system tray) so I cannot say for sure how long it takes
for an icon there to be considered "dormant".

William