From: Rob on
David L. Jones wrote:
> Superman" <"the _man_of_steel wrote:
>> On 2/01/2010 3:05 PM, David L. Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Superman"<"the _man_of_steel wrote:

Look I found a picture!

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ics/diffrout.htm
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-01-02, Superman <"the _man_of_steel"@metropolis.com> wrote:

> What I was actually asking is.. what equipment does the router transmit
> to? Routers are only transmitters, right? not receivers. So what can I
> use as the receiver if I go the wireless route? I can't use a dongle as
> I need to connect via an ethernet socket, and that's because I'm not
> wanting to connect to a computer but a DVDR.

a "wireless bridge" or an access point that supports bridging can be
used to connect wired devices to a wireless network.

> I can't use either of those (see above) but I understand now that I can
> run a cable from the router and just plug the other end into the
> ethernet socket of the DVDR. But is there such a thing as a 'double
> adapter' to use on the ethernet socket of the BP modem? If so it would
> eliminate the need for a router.

you could try an ethernet switch there.

From: Hugh Jeego on

"Superman" <"the _man_of_steel"@metropolis.com> wrote in message

> What I was actually asking is.. what equipment does the router transmit
> to? Routers are only transmitters, right? not receivers. So what can I

Nope. A router is a transceiver the same as radios in taxis are
transceivers. Routers send and receive otherwise they cant route.

> use as the receiver if I go the wireless route? I can't use a dongle as I
> need to connect via an ethernet socket, and that's because I'm not wanting
> to connect to a computer but a DVDR.

I assume you mean you want to connect to something like a Tivo? If so you
need to be more specific. Which one? In any case, a wi-fi router is a
transceiver and you WOULD need a dongle if your computer isnt close to the
other equipment. Alternatively, if you want to run ethernet cables
everywhere, you could have a router that either is or isnt also wi-fi and
plug the cables into it. Some routers allow more than one ethernet
connection.

From: Rod Speed on
Superman" <"the _man_of_steel wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Superman"<"the _man_of_steel wrote:
>>> Fast Freddy wrote

>>> Any chance the ISP would give me two MAC addresses on the same
>>> account without extra cost?

>> It wouldnt work even if they did. You cant have two in use at once.

> Well that cleared that up, thanks. It looks like i'm stuck with a router/bridge option, or else running 40 metres of
> ethernet cable from a switch. Either way it's not going to be cheap.

It can be. You can often pick up routers for peanuts second hand.

Even brand new routers dont cost much.

From: Anonymous on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Superman" <"the _man_of_steel wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> It wouldnt work even if they did. You cant have two in use at once.
>
>> Well that cleared that up, thanks. It looks like i'm stuck with a
>> router/bridge option, or else running 40 metres of ethernet cable from a
>> switch. Either way it's not going to be cheap.
>
> It can be. You can often pick up routers for peanuts second hand.
>
> Even brand new routers dont cost much.

Just bought another one, s/hand this time for $20.
Cheap as chips!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: mobile broadband