From: John on
Loaded a shop bought DVD onto the 27" iMac, didn't notice it was
region 1, got the "need to change region", pushed the wrong button, it
changed to region 1. I thought that as you have only 5 lives, a "Are
You Sure" window should pop up. So I loaded a region 2 DVD to change it
back, this time I had to put in my password. Why no safety the first
time.

John

From: Woody on
John <coffee(a)the.cafe.com> wrote:

> Loaded a shop bought DVD onto the 27" iMac, didn't notice it was
> region 1, got the "need to change region", pushed the wrong button, it
> changed to region 1. I thought that as you have only 5 lives, a "Are
> You Sure" window should pop up. So I loaded a region 2 DVD to change it
> back, this time I had to put in my password. Why no safety the first
> time.

Well, it is a different thing setting rather than changing, although as
you said it should have a warning the first time.
Actually, it shouldn't have the limit anyway, but that is a different
matter!

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: SteveH on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> John <coffee(a)the.cafe.com> wrote:
>
> > Loaded a shop bought DVD onto the 27" iMac, didn't notice it was
> > region 1, got the "need to change region", pushed the wrong button, it
> > changed to region 1. I thought that as you have only 5 lives, a "Are
> > You Sure" window should pop up. So I loaded a region 2 DVD to change it
> > back, this time I had to put in my password. Why no safety the first
> > time.
>
> Well, it is a different thing setting rather than changing, although as
> you said it should have a warning the first time.
> Actually, it shouldn't have the limit anyway, but that is a different
> matter!

Doesn't VLC get around the region restrictions anyway?
--
SteveH
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 12:57:17 +0100, italiancar(a)gmail.com (SteveH)
wrote:

>Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> John <coffee(a)the.cafe.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Loaded a shop bought DVD onto the 27" iMac, didn't notice it was
>> > region 1, got the "need to change region", pushed the wrong button, it
>> > changed to region 1. I thought that as you have only 5 lives, a "Are
>> > You Sure" window should pop up. So I loaded a region 2 DVD to change it
>> > back, this time I had to put in my password. Why no safety the first
>> > time.

This isn't anything to do with the "new 27" iMac" by the way, it's the
OSX DVD-handling software enforcing idiot MPAA rules. It would happen
on any Mac or Windows machine.

Hey, I wonder what happens on Linuxes? I bet they don't bother
acceding to what ought to be an illegal monopoly sourced request.

>> Well, it is a different thing setting rather than changing, although as
>> you said it should have a warning the first time.
>> Actually, it shouldn't have the limit anyway, but that is a different
>> matter!
>
>Doesn't VLC get around the region restrictions anyway?

Yep. And starting the DVD in VLC in the background opens up the
encryption allowing you to play the DVD in any other software of your
choice, last time I tried it. I don't have any off-region disks to
test it with just now.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
207 BC: Chrysippus, Greek stoic philosopher, is believed to have died of
laughter after watching his drunken donkey attempt to eat figs.
From: Richard Kettlewell on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> writes:

> This isn't anything to do with the "new 27" iMac" by the way, it's the
> OSX DVD-handling software enforcing idiot MPAA rules. It would happen
> on any Mac or Windows machine.
>
> Hey, I wonder what happens on Linuxes? I bet they don't bother
> acceding to what ought to be an illegal monopoly sourced request.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Playback_Control

Of course with DVD drives starting under £10 a shot, you could get one
for each region you cared about even if you couldn't find one that'll
play nicely.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/