From: zoara on
As per subject, really. Can anyone recommend a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive
that doesn't have any annoying high-pitched whines or repetitive clicks?

Or are they all near-silent these days?

I currently have a Hitachi 200GB (HTS722020K9SA00) which isn't too bad -
I certainly wouldn't want anything louder.

Thanks,

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Steve Firth on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> As per subject, really. Can anyone recommend a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive
> that doesn't have any annoying high-pitched whines or repetitive clicks?

The Western Digital WD3200BEVE is an ultra quiet drive (25dBA), I've
used them in several cases and there's no audible noise unless one
presses one ear to the case. The price paid is the loss of performance,
5400 rpm and 12.5ms average seek time and the fact that these drives are
expensive for what they are (�80). A Samsung HM641JI has twice the
capacity, sounds about as loud (25dBA) and costs less than the 320GB WD
model (�70).

TBH I'd go for the Samsung, I've just installed two of their 2TB 3.5 in
drives into an IcyBox and I can't hear any noise from them.
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On 4 Jul 2010 10:25:43 GMT, zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>As per subject, really. Can anyone recommend a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive
>that doesn't have any annoying high-pitched whines or repetitive clicks?
>
>Or are they all near-silent these days?
>
>I currently have a Hitachi 200GB (HTS722020K9SA00) which isn't too bad -
>I certainly wouldn't want anything louder.

WD Blue are almost inaudible all round. They're also fast. I'd vote
for one of these, except someone here (Woody?) piped up last time to
say his was a bit noisy.

Fujitsu likewise inaudible, but you can feel they are slower.

Hitachi are slightly audible - as you've found - and fast.

All Seagates are clicky (they lost a court case about acoustic
management years ago and just gave up on head velocity ramping so
they're as close to square wave movement as they can be made - faster
seeks, but noisy).

All 7200rpm drives have spinning noise louder than 5400 Hitachis.

Sounds like a logic puzzle...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing because verbing weirds
language. Then they arrival for the nouns, and I speech nothing because
From: Andy Hewitt on
Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote:

> zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > As per subject, really. Can anyone recommend a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive
> > that doesn't have any annoying high-pitched whines or repetitive clicks?
>
> The Western Digital WD3200BEVE is an ultra quiet drive (25dBA), I've
> used them in several cases and there's no audible noise unless one
> presses one ear to the case. The price paid is the loss of performance,
> 5400 rpm and 12.5ms average seek time and the fact that these drives are
> expensive for what they are (�80). A Samsung HM641JI has twice the
> capacity, sounds about as loud (25dBA) and costs less than the 320GB WD
> model (�70).
>
> TBH I'd go for the Samsung, I've just installed two of their 2TB 3.5 in
> drives into an IcyBox and I can't hear any noise from them.

I just moved from a WD Scorpio 250GB to a Samsung HM501II 500GB in my
MacBook, and there's not doubt the Samsung is faster and quieter.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: T i m on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 15:06:37 +0100, thewildrover(a)me.com (Andy Hewitt)
wrote:

>I just moved from a WD Scorpio 250GB to a Samsung HM501II 500GB in my
>MacBook, and there's not doubt the Samsung is faster and quieter.

I have 3 of the same Samsungs in my WHS and they are silent. However,
they are also suspended on rubber mounts so you would only hear the
radiated noise in any case.

T i m