From: Sue Morton on
Hi Peter,

The OPT1 jumpering is to set 1.5G -- that is SATA I. Based on what you
wrote, without jumpers the drives are at SATA II (3G). However, your
BIOS is very likely set to access them as IDE and setting them to 1.5G
can actually improve performance on some systems. Since you wrote
you're using XP, I will tell you it is not for the faint of heart to get
XP to use the drives in SATA 3G mode. The cluster size isn't a factor.

Good luck with your tuning to get the system to run better, sounds like
from your other posts you're on the right track.
--
Sue Morton

From: Peter Roussy on
Thanks Sue.

The hard drives are in IDE mode in the BIOS...

PCH SATA Control Mode (Intel P55/H55 Chipset)

Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Intel
P55/H55 Chipset or configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode.

IDE Disables RAID for the SATA controllers and configures the SATA
controllers to IDE mode. (Default)

RAID (XHD) Enables RAID for the SATA controllers.

AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host
Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the
storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command
Queuing and hot plug.

I tried AHCI but it gave me the blue screen and I'm not using a raid array
so it seems like my only choice. Where's the best source of info for getting
XP to run in 3G mode?

Regards

From: Sue Morton on
It's not awful to hack XP but it does take some grief. That's why you
got the blue screen, for whatever reason, all the drivers for XP are
coded to only allow install when XP is installed, AND they don't allow
you to keep IDE mode. Meaning, if you install XP with AHCI mode for
SATA, and you switch your BIOS to IDE, you'll blue screen on that one
instead. Dumb.

Since you've got the intel chipset you could try my hack, it will be
slightly different information than what I posted here (I had ICH9/ICH9R
chipset at the time, I believe your P55/H55 is ICH10/ICH10R not positive
though you'll need to look it up). I tried for Scott (Organfreak) to
come up with a hack for the nVidia chipset equivalent for his system,
but since I don't have an nVidia system I couldn't actually make one
work I could only point him to info I found.

You can use Google to look at the archives from this group. I posted a
lengthy instruction list for hacking XP with Intel Matrix Storage
Drivers for AHCI, so you can have both options in BIOS -- AHCI and IDE.
You'll need both if you use imaging software like Acronis for your OS
partition. Not for backup, but for restore of OS. You'll have to
'play games' between IDE and AHCI drivers and BIOS modes to get your OS
restored.

You can try googling 'hack XP intel matrix storage ICH10R' (or whatever
your SATA chipset is) and find similar instructions. I messed with
quite a few internet posts which did not work correctly, until I hit on
a combination of them that worked for me. It's since worked for every
system I've used it on.

If you can't find a post on the internet or find mine in the archives,
let me know, I can post my info again. Keep in mind you'll have some
research and changes to make, to adapt it to your specific chipset.

Some folk here have posted that they tried the AHCI mode, and saw no
difference with it. I can't comment on their experiences as I don't
know what they did/didn't do, and what their drives and BIOS were
capable of.

My own experience is a significant improvement in the performance of the
drives -- provided the drives support native command queueing (AFAIK all
current SATA 3G drives do). I also think if you've only got one or two
drives there might not be a huge advantage, since internal transfers is
where it shows up. It won't change anything for internet or external
drives as the IDE mode is faster than most of those pipelines anyway.

For example, my 'big' XP SP3 32-bit system has 12 1T SATA 3G disks (all
formatted at 4096 cluster size, nothing bigger as for me the bigger
cluster size has not helped and in some cases has caused problems.
YMMV). There is a definite and noticeable improvement in disk I/O
speed. I can transfer files of several gigs in size between disks and
the transfer is done almost instantly, I hardly see the 'copying...' box
come up and it's gone. When I run it in IDE mode it feels very
sluggish.

NOTE that most hard disk measurement utilities do not 'understand' AHCI
and report some very odd numbers, you'll need to rely on on wall clock
time and not the Mbit throughput numbers they report. Unless you know
for a fact the utility handles AHCI mode correctly during measurement.

Also NOTE that the AHCI drivers and using AHCI mode vs. IDE compatible
mode, only affect how the system interacts with the disk hardware.
There is no bearing on the format of the disk, the OS installed, data,
nothing in that regard. The disk can be freely switched between IDE and
AHCI as long as the BIOS and OS drivers are appropriate for the mode.

FWIW running the DPC latency checker program for the last hour while
working on this post and doing other normal tasks on this system, hovers
around 76-140 micro seconds and hitting a max of 215 micro seconds so
far. I've got 48-52 processes running, doing a little audio mixing
(Reaper), email, newsgroups, internet, and also VPN'd in to my
employer's network and running Remote Desktop on 3-5 Windows Server 2008
hardware machines or vitual machines at a time.

This system is a Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.0ghz) with 1333mhz FSB and 2G of
DDR3 memory running at 1333mhz in dual channel mode. As mentioned, it's
intel ICH9R chipset, onboard sound is disabled (I use a Lynx card
instead), it has no onboard graphics (I use a crossfire HD graphics card
pair with 512M DDR3 memory each. I don't do much with graphics so this
card pair is well beyond anything I need.)

Just a note about PC performance in my own experience. A certain amount
of muscle is going to be required for a PC. But beyond that I've found
a very careful matching of components and drivers will yield much higher
performance than just 'compatible' components. Of course that's a lot
of work to research, and there's still a certain amount of luck
involved! The resulting system is likely to be more expensive at the
outset too. I paid some 25-30% more for this system back when I
assembled it, compared to home-built systems with similar specs. But
it's almost four years old now, and still handles everything I want to
do and without delay. Until I have a new requirement for this machine,
for which this spec is underpowered, or if some component fails that
cannot be replaced with 'like' component, this system should serve me
quite efficiently for some time yet, for its intended purposes.

Just some info for your consideration, when you're faced with your
*next* build some years down the road :-) You should be able to tweak
your new system at least as good as the specs on this box, and likely
far beyond them.

From: Peter Roussy on
Wow. Thanks for all that info.
You have attained some very fast transfer speeds in that machine.
I did a little reading on the SATA specs and I'll wait and see if I even
need it. And as far as going forward, I'm sure I'll be using a different
operating system by then. Windows 7 handles AHCI natively right? The sustain
throughput of these drives is just over 100MB/s and that's not even SATA 1.
I like things to be efficient but at the end of the day, if it gets the job
done...

thanks again

From: kitekrazy on
On 4/5/2010 8:45 PM, Peter Roussy wrote:
> So I took the plunge and bought a new system from Mwave.
>
> Basic Ark case and P/S
> Gigabyte GA-P55-USB motherboard
> Intel i5 750 chip
> 2x2gig Kingston DDR3 1600 ram
> (2) WD 750 gig caviar black drives
> GForce 220 1 gig video card (Msi)
> 22" Hannspree monitor
> LG DVD RW drive
>
> I got everything up and running alright. I'm using winxp sp3 and I am using
> a M-Audio audiophile 2496 card. I also have a Delta 1010 I plan on
> installing as well.
>
> With all this new speed and power I am still getting pops in my audio using
> reaper. So I viewed my IRQ table in control panel and found that the 2496
> card was sharing with all kinds of things. This MB has 3 pci slots and no
> matter which one I use it only gives me choices of either IRQ 16, 17 or 18
> and all of these have multiple things on them. I have attached a pic showing
> the delta card currently on IRQ16 (3rd Pci slot). (Actually, this post
> wouldn't allow me to attach a pic)
>
> Of the research I have done so far, it doesn't seem like I can even force an
> IRQ in the BIOS because win xp will just over look it and load it where it
> wants to using ACPI.
>
> Does anyone know a solution or workaround for this problem. I feel like I
> just wasted a lot of money for nothin.
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete

Go with Windows 7. It's a much better OS than XP. You're wasting new
hardware on a 10 year old OS.