From: Jerry Whittle on
WARNING: Steve wants to build a database for you - at a price.

Learning curve? Yes.

"it ain't gonna happen"? WRONG! Many of us were self-taught. I was.

Your biggest problem will be "commit spreadsheet". As spreadsheet and table
look similar, but they are not.

I highly recommend getting some relational database training or reading
"Database Design for Mere Mortals" by Hernandez before proceeding any further
on this database.

If you do need to hire someone, I would not recommend Steve.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: John Spencer on
Yes, that can all be done with Access.

From the basic information you have given, you are probably going to need at
least three tables for the information.

Table: Companies (contains information about each company)
CompanyID (A unique value - often an autonumber field) that specifically
identifies this record. That way you can edit the company name when/if needed
NameOfCompany
AddressInformation (several fields perhaps)
ContactName (If you have just one contact)
CompanyType (If you categorize companies)

Table: AvailableServices (a list of the services and information about the
service that does not change)
ServiceID
ServiceName
ServiceDescription

Table: ServicesUsedByCompany (Stores information on each service used by a
company and any other details on this service incident for this company)
ServiceID
CompanyID
DateOfService

Once you get that structure set up you should be able to transfer the data in
from the excel sheets with some work.

You will be setting up forms for data entry and reports for publishing the
information.

And you will be able to fairly easily get a report of all companies that use a
service(s) and a list of all services used by a company.
With a little more work you can get a report of companies that don't use a
service or all the services not used by a company.

Post back when you get the structure set up and ask for help in setting up the
transfer of data. When you do you will need to let people know about the
database structure you have set up and about the structure of the excel file
you are using.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:04:01 -0800, John <John(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I want to create a data base here in Access however I have never used it
>before, So i dont know if these things are possible and what forms are the
>best to use if this is possible. I have been using Excel which i am pretty
>familiar with. Each tab I have a listing of different reports. One reports
>lists all the deposits for every company that uses a specific product. Right
>now this is about 30,000 + rows. THen i have another 5-6 different places
>where I report things. I want to see if I can move these into ACCESS.
>
>This is what I want to do.
>First I want to enter all the companies and what specific services they use
>SEcond I want repot all the deposits
>Then I want to bring in all the other reports.
>
>Then is is possible for me to create a report for one specific company?
>Say, I want to get all their basic information, (i.e. name address) and then
>on the same page it prints reports of the different services they are using
>and how often? Is this possible in access?
>
>Sorry for the long winded question but i really want to get this up and going.
>
>Thanks in advance.

All very possible. Steve is correct that there's a learning curve and that
what you describe isn't trivial; he's incorrect in offering paid support on
this FREE, VOLUNTEER forum (he's refused for ages to follow the rules the rest
of us observe). Bear that in mind if you should consider hiring him.

That said... Access is *very different* from Excel; your learning curve may
require more than that of someone with no Excel experience because you may
need to "unlearn" some of the "things you always do". For instance in Excel
you will have different reports on different tabs; that's NOT how Access
reports work at all! A Report is like a Form, a layout of data for printing;
it would be based on a Query selecting which company and/or which services you
want to print.

Take a look at some of these resources, especially the tutorials at the end.
They should get you started, and you're welcome to come back here for *free,
volunteer* support.

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: LEE on
You might try some of the very templates from the Access page.Experiment with
and change them to suit your needs.You will learn much doing this
--
Lee Rolin