From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

� "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> ������ ��� ������
> jls <notvalid(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:02:58 -0600, Think <think(a)tank.org> wrote:
>
>> I did an estimate for a financial institution a couple of years ago
>> who wanted to know how much it would cost to restore 9,000 tapes,
> [...]
>> their old stuff, I can't recall for sure. Anyway, the estimated cost
>> just to READ all of the tapes and put the data on hard disk drives
>> would have cost over $3.5 million (USD).
>
> An average 389 USD per tape, which includes buying/renting really
> old and rare tape machines isn't exactly expensive. It would be
> interesting how much data (bytes) was involved.
>
> It would also be interesting why those tapes were not migrated
> to newer media as old systems started to become unavailable ---
> probably due to cost cutting by some manager who should be forced
> to pay the money he 'saved' by increasing costs by something like
> 3 million USD.
Yes-when ordinary 3 1/2" floppies started becoming obsolete, I trasferred
all my floppies to a single cd rom. We still have my mum's old PC in Vori
(holiday house) with a working 3 1/2 " floppy. I also have a working VCR, a
record player and a tape walkman....

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

? "Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket(a)config.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:00:10 +0200, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
>> Supposed to last for 1000 years.
>
> So, will there be DVD readers a millenium from now?
>
> Hell, will there be DVD readers even 10 years from now??
Who knows-a DVD could be to the archeologists of the future such a conundrum
as the disc of Phaestus....

From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Allodoxaphobia <bit-bucket(a)config.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:00:10 +0200, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
>> Supposed to last for 1000 years.

> So, will there be DVD readers a millenium from now?

If you care for your data, you'll copy it to another medium before
DVDs in general stop being widely readable. So it'll not be
any problem.

> Hell, will there be DVD readers even 10 years from now??

Yes. Do you really think everyone is going to upgrade their
DVD collection to the newest fad of the industry? Do you think
they'll outlaw DVDs?

See, the market for DVD readers will be there and hence it will be
supplied. You can get a record player if you want, even today ...

-Wolfgang
From: Charlie Groh on
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:44:12 -0600, John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>
wrote:

>Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>>
>> Allodoxaphobia <bit-bucket(a)config.com> wrote:
>
><edited for brevity>
>
>> > Hell, will there be DVD readers even 10 years from now??
>>
>> Yes. Do you really think everyone is going to upgrade their
>> DVD collection to the newest fad of the industry? Do you think
>> they'll outlaw DVDs?
>>
>> See, the market for DVD readers will be there and hence it will be
>> supplied. You can get a record player if you want, even today ...
>>
>> -Wolfgang
>

>Unfortunately, the only phonographs readily available nowadays,
>seem to be of the crude USB variety. They're designed expressly
>for the conversion of vinyl records into digital files, on home
>computers.
>
>Hence, these cheap, rudimentary turntables are mainly suited
>to archival purposes, and little else...audiophiles, beware!

....you gotta shop around, but *good* turntables are out
there...archivists in general don't recommend the usb variety...I use
a good quality Music Hall that runs through a preamp and into my
'puter. You pay for what you get...

cg
From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>>
>> Allodoxaphobia <bit-bucket(a)config.com> wrote:
>
> <edited for brevity>
>
>> > Hell, will there be DVD readers even 10 years from now??
>>
>> Yes. Do you really think everyone is going to upgrade their
>> DVD collection to the newest fad of the industry? Do you think
>> they'll outlaw DVDs?
>>
>> See, the market for DVD readers will be there and hence it will be
>> supplied. You can get a record player if you want, even today ...
>>
>> -Wolfgang
>

> Unfortunately, the only phonographs readily available nowadays,
> seem to be of the crude USB variety. They're designed expressly
> for the conversion of vinyl records into digital files, on home
> computers.
>
> Hence, these cheap, rudimentary turntables are mainly suited
> to archival purposes, and little else...audiophiles, beware!

Nope. My turntable, a pro-ject debut III, is as normal a turntable as any of
us 80's kids remember. Just now listening to the "1" record by the beatles.
It cost 360 euros , complete with Cambridge Audio Azur 540 S moving magnet
pre amp, Ortofon OM 5 MM cartridge. There are dozens of turntable
manufacturers, with hundreds of models.
http://www.project-audio.com/
www.cambridgeaudio.com
I have a "normal" separates stereo. I do also conversion, but through the
computer's sound card, with 44.1 kHz sampling and 32 bit float, results are
excellent. There's a new MM preamp by NAD that has a built in USB out, for
direct conversion, but it came out a couple of months after I bought my
turntable:-)