From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on
Supposed to last for 1000 years. Instead of an organic dye, they have some
mineral, and they need a special burner, that costs $5000. If you want to
send the data to the company, it costs 30 euros for a DVD (4.7 GB, of
course). Full story here, only in german:
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/0,1518,661479,00.html

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: Dave Cohen on
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> Supposed to last for 1000 years. Instead of an organic dye, they have some
> mineral, and they need a special burner, that costs $5000. If you want to
> send the data to the company, it costs 30 euros for a DVD (4.7 GB, of
> course). Full story here, only in german:
> http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/0,1518,661479,00.html

I see, and if after say 5 or 6 hundred years the thing becomes non
readable, do I get a refund.
From: J. Clarke on
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> Supposed to last for 1000 years. Instead of an organic dye, they have
> some mineral, and they need a special burner, that costs $5000. If
> you want to send the data to the company, it costs 30 euros for a DVD
> (4.7 GB, of course). Full story here, only in german:
> http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/0,1518,661479,00.html

If you look at the illustration on that page you'll see that it is in
English, which led me to believe that the company making the thing was not
German--I searched on "m-arc disc" and found http://www.millenniata.com/.
Turns out that it is a Utah company founded by a professor at BYU.

It's a clever concept, but I find myself wondering where the vapor produced
by the etching process goes.

From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

? "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> ?????? ??? ??????
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
>> Supposed to last for 1000 years. Instead of an organic dye, they have
>> some mineral, and they need a special burner, that costs $5000. If
>> you want to send the data to the company, it costs 30 euros for a DVD
>> (4.7 GB, of course). Full story here, only in german:
>> http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/0,1518,661479,00.html
>
> If you look at the illustration on that page you'll see that it is in
> English, which led me to believe that the company making the thing was not
> German--I searched on "m-arc disc" and found http://www.millenniata.com/.
> Turns out that it is a Utah company founded by a professor at BYU.
>
> It's a clever concept, but I find myself wondering where the vapor
> produced
> by the etching process goes.

Yes, the company is US, like all good things:-)
Only the article is in german.

From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

? "Dave Cohen" <user(a)example.net> ?????? ??? ??????
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
>> Supposed to last for 1000 years. Instead of an organic dye, they have
>> some mineral, and they need a special burner, that costs $5000. If you
>> want to send the data to the company, it costs 30 euros for a DVD (4.7
>> GB, of course). Full story here, only in german:
>> http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/0,1518,661479,00.html
>>

> I see, and if after say 5 or 6 hundred years the thing becomes non
> readable, do I get a refund.
lol, never thought of that.
The problem would be that in a couple generations the
optical drives will be obsolete to quantum drives or
whatever the new technology woil be.