From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com on

David Kanter wrote:
> ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> > Niels Jørgen Kruse wrote:

> > It was called RLDRAM, AFAIK.
>
> RLDRAM is entirely different than eDRAM.

I once read a piece that said it was RLDRAM (on the Power4). If it
wasn't, then the piece was wrong.

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Niels_J=F8rgen_Kruse?= on
ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com <ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Niels J?rgen Kruse wrote:
> > Northstar != POWER3.
>
> Ah, so? What pre-POWER3 processor ran at 266MHz?

The RS64-II. The commercial line was contemporary with the POWER3.

> The POWER3 processor has also been designed to span several advances in
> CMOS technology, allowing it to more than double its initial product
> frequency of 200 MHz over its product lifetime. To date, POWER3
> processors have been shipped in RS/6000 products at frequencies ranging
> up to 450 MHz.
> http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/446/oconnell.html

Now compare with
<http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/hardware/whitepapers/nsta
r.html>.

> > The POWER6 has 32 MB of offdie cache too
> > (80GB/second bandwidth).
>
> 32MB off-die cache has been offered since the beginning of the decade.
> It would be more interesting to know what the latency will be. On
> high-end Power4 servers, L3 was 100 cycles away from the processor
> (eg., 100ns for a 1GHz processor).

POWER5 cut that in half, more or less.

> > It was a surprise to see the dispatch bandwidth increased to 7
> > instructions per clock (from 5 in the POWER5). It was a common
> > expectation that POWER6 had to be narrower to achieve the high clock.
>
> I figured it would be something like 8. That was before I knew it would
> have high clocks. Be that as it may, how many instructions can be
> retired per clock. (7 issues per clock doesn't necessarily imply 7
> retires per clock)

That part of the pipeline remains in darkness.

--
Mvh./Regards, Niels J?rgen Kruse, Vanl?se, Denmark
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Niels_J=F8rgen_Kruse?= on
ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com <ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Niels J?rgen Kruse wrote:
> > It was a surprise to see the dispatch bandwidth increased to 7
> > instructions per clock (from 5 in the POWER5).
>
> Come to think of it, the 5 was retires, not dispatches. I think 4
> intops, 4 fpops and 2 branches could be dispatched per clock. Of
> course, because of the lower retire rate, such a dispatch rate couldn't
> be sustained indefinitely. Hmm, does a prefetch count as an instruction
> in terms of cutting into the limit of how many instructions can be
> issued per clock?

Dispatch and issue have swapped meanings in IBM-speak and Intel-speak.
The POWER5 can issue 8 instruktions in a clock, 2 int, 2 L/S, 2 FP, 1
branch and 1 condition register logical arithmetic. The POWER5 can
retire 2 dispatch-groups per clock, one from each thread.

--
Mvh./Regards, Niels J?rgen Kruse, Vanl?se, Denmark
From: Wes Felter on
On 2006-10-12 15:38:04 -0500, nospam(a)ab-katrinedal.dk (Niels J?rgen
Kruse) said:

> The POWER6 has 32 MB of offdie cache too
> (80GB/second bandwidth). Since the amount is a reduction from POWER5 and
> IBM has discontinued their eDRAM in 65 nm, I guess this must be SRAM.

Who says the L3 is 65nm? Maybe it's 90nm.

And my reading of the slides shows two 32MB L3 chips, for 64MB total.
Did you really think they would reduce the L3 size from POWER5?

--
Wes Felter - wesley(a)felter.org - http://felter.org/wesley/

From: Del Cecchi on

""Niels J?rgen Kruse"" <nospam(a)ab-katrinedal.dk> wrote in message
> Del Cecchi <cecchinospam(a)us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> Niels J?rgen Kruse wrote:
>> > Northstar != POWER3. The POWER6 has 32 MB of offdie cache too
>> > (80GB/second bandwidth). Since the amount is a reduction from POWER5
>> > and
>> > IBM has discontinued their eDRAM in 65 nm, I guess this must be
>> > SRAM.
>>
>> eDRAM still appears to be available in 65nm bulk (CU65HP), don't know
>> about in SOI
>
> OK, I don't remember exactly where I got that notion. 32MB SRAM is
> certainly possible in 65nm though.

Finally got the info. eDRAM has always been a bulk offering, never SOI.

del