From: ~~Alan~~ on

"Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Attention All:
>
> Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
> disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>
> Not any more.
>
> "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box
> for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery disks in
> case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery disks,
> there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery media."
>
> https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
>
> Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
> piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
>
> And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
> recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm negotiating
> with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article was first
> published.
>
> Daddy

I work in a Dell Shop (we buy exclusively from Dell) and at our recent
holiday party, we raffeled of 4 Dell Vostro 220 machines that Dell
accidently sent us but because they did not fit into our model (we buy
OptiPlexes) we rejected them. Dell thought it was too expensive to take
them back so they wrote them off and said we can do what we want with them.

I was fortunate to have won one of these Vostro systems and I looked up the
system by service tag and lo and behold what did I find but the date of
Manufacture.

If you got a Recovery CD with a system you just bought or not, why not look
up your system by service tag, tell us where and/or how you obtained your
system, post your results here and maybe, just maybe we can see a pattern if
Dell is supplying recovery platters or not.

Just a thought.

From: Al Dykes on
In article <hmppmt$oce$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Attention All:
>
>Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
>disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>
>Not any more.
>
>"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
>box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
>disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
>disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
>media."
>
>https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
>
>Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
>piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

I just bought a retail Dell Inspiron 1464 yesterday. I'd buy a
Windows disk if I could. This is my first modern Dell and I'm trying
to figure out my backup/recovery options and the Dell support site. It
used to be good. This post is timely.

I can't find anything like "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" on the
machine, It's right out of the box. I also don't see it on Dell
support.

Suggestions?
--
Al Dykes

From: Al Dykes on
In article <hmppmt$oce$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Attention All:
>
>Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
>disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>
>Not any more.
>
>"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
>box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
>disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
>disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
>media."
>
>https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
>
>Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
>piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

I just got an Inspiron 1464 from a big box store. It came with no
media whatsoever and "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" wasn't
installed.

I called Dell support, the guy connected to my system and confirmed
that. As a result, they are sending me media so I can refresh my
system which I planeed to do anyway for the learning experience.

It's not Windows media but it's better than nothing.

--
Al Dykes

From: WSZsr on
Friday received an Inspiron 14 and it came with all the disks.

"Al Dykes" <adykes(a)panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <hmppmt$oce$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>Attention All:
>>
>>Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
>>disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>>
>>Not any more.
>>
>>"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
>>box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
>>disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
>>disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
>>media."
>>
>>https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
>>
>>Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
>>piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
>

> I just bought a retail Dell Inspiron 1464 yesterday. I'd buy a
> Windows disk if I could. This is my first modern Dell and I'm trying
> to figure out my backup/recovery options and the Dell support site. It
> used to be good. This post is timely.
>
> I can't find anything like "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" on the
> machine, It's right out of the box. I also don't see it on Dell
> support.
>
> Suggestions?
> --
> Al Dykes
> News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
> advertising.
> - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Optiplex case build good?
Next: Bios Update Stalled