From: Timofei Shatrov on
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:45:36 -0500, Ken Tilton <kentilton(a)gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>> If you give game designers the power, they're
>> going to do generalized min-maxing with generalized pruning
>> to decide exactly which armaments to deploy in the next ten
>> seconds, and when it comes down to a choice between spending
>> ammo for the machine gun and spending a missile, they're going
>> to test both scenarios against opponent's responses and odds of
>> opponents still being able to respond with a 3-move lookahead
>> generating some thousands of scenarios, simulate them all, and
>> pick the highest-scored one.
>
>Aside from that being a non-contradicting contradiction, which game do
>you have in mind that demonstrates this unfed thirst for CPU power? ie,
>Which game, IYHO, has the best AI?

Take the Britain's best-selling game for example, Football Manager 2007.
Graphics are purely cosmetic. CPU intensive as hell. I think this is the game
with the most complicated AI on the market.

Another example is an underground hit Dwarf Fortress, which also needs a lot of
computational power, while having ANSI characters for graphics.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|
From: Tim Bradshaw on
Ray Dillinger wrote:

> No, it's not. If you give game designers the power, they're
> going to do generalized min-maxing with generalized pruning
> to decide exactly which armaments to deploy in the next ten
> seconds, and when it comes down to a choice between spending
> ammo for the machine gun and spending a missile, they're going
> to test both scenarios against opponent's responses and odds of
> opponents still being able to respond with a 3-move lookahead
> generating some thousands of scenarios, simulate them all, and
> pick the highest-scored one. Just like they do now with simple
> games such as chess.

In many cases they won't do that, because if they did then the computer
player would outplay the humans all the time, and the game would then
not sell very well.