From: Juan R. on

Tim Bradshaw ha escrito:

> So for instance: do a commercially significant proportion of desktop
> users spend their time simulating ecosystems, the weather, galaxies
> etc? I suggest that they do not, and they will not.

Maybe yes in some irrelevant MSWord 2017 assistant [remember current
Earth assistant on Word 2000].

From: Tim Bradshaw on
Juan R. wrote:

> Maybe yes in some irrelevant MSWord 2017 assistant [remember current
> Earth assistant on Word 2000].

I dunno much about Word I'm afraid. But of course, you're nearly
right. It won't be Word though, it will be systems which have been
taken over by botnets, which botnets will be fighting computational
arms races with anti-spam systems. By 2017 essentially all the world's
computing resources will have been taken over by the battle between
spam/antispam & virus/antivirus systems, with the remainder used up by
video games. Humans will be extinct.

--tim

From: Juan R. on
Madhu ha escrito:

> * "Spiros Bousbouras" <1168298748.558477.152070(a)11g2000cwr.XXXXX.com> :
> | If you want to analyse chess positions you can never
> | have too much speed and it has nothing to do with
> | rendering. I'm sure it's the same situation with go and
> | many other games.
>
> But having more than one core will not be a benefit if your algorithms
> are graph based and have to search a tree. IIRC most graph algorithms
> (dfs bfs) are inherently unparallelizable.

And did not a parallel search tree could distribute subtree search
between cores at each branching point?

\ 1 core search
\
/\ 2 cores search
/ \
/ \
/\ \ 3 cores search
/ \ \
/ \ \
Target

From: Szabolcs Szucs on
Hi,

"Tim Bradshaw" <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> writes:

> [...]
> arms races with anti-spam systems. By 2017 essentially all the world's
> computing resources will have been taken over by the battle between
> spam/antispam & virus/antivirus systems, with the remainder used up by

Spam isn't a problem if one can use PGP-like systems and other
channels to maintain trust values.

Who cares about viruses on LispOS? :) Viruses are OS and architecture
dependent entities. Diversity in this domain going to solve this.

> video games. Humans will be extinct.
>
> --tim

=--=
Szucs Szabolcs Laszlo
(36 30) 228 42 40

9BF6 00E9 0CA9 B3A8 5234 03DB 3FB3 F85B 0033 74D7
http://keyserver.noreply.org/pks/lookup?search=kotee%40elte.hu&fingerprint=on
From: Chris Barts on
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:17:33 +0100, Szabolcs Szucs wrote:

> Who cares about viruses on LispOS? :) Viruses are OS and architecture
> dependent entities. Diversity in this domain going to solve this.

And mandatory DRM is going to solve diversity. Why should it be legal for
anyone to own a computer that can do any more than
Sony/BMI/Disney/Vivendi/Universal/AOL/TimeWarner say it should?

--
My address happens to be com (dot) gmail (at) usenet (plus) chbarts,
wardsback and translated.