From: 1Scan on
On Dec 27, 3:42 pm, 1Scan <jeff.underw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have acquired a used Nikon Coolscan 8000 which resolutely reports a
> hardware failure when I switch it on. I've tried to connect it to two
> Macs and an XP machine, with v4 of Nikon's scan software. Each time
> the same standard hardware fault message although the power light is
> solid green.
>
> Before I draw the obvious conclusion can anyone suggest anything that
> might overcome this, or a way to establish exactly what the fault
> might be?
>
> Jeff Underwood
>
> 1Scan.co.uk
> freephotoscanning.com

Thanks for all your messages and help.

I do have a licence for Vuescan so I downloaded the latest version of
that and tried it, sadly same result. Vuescan (and Nikonscan) can see
there's a scanner attached but reports it not working.

Having read Barry's comment I have watched the green light when I
switch it on. Initially it flashes steadily then a distinct set of
rapid flashes before settling to solid green. I think the obvious
conclusion has to be drawn.

I have contacted the seller and he is adamant that the unit works and
that somehow I've configured the software wrong. He is coming to see
me in a couple of days and says he'll get it working. He seems to be a
reasonable eBay trader so if, as I expect, he can't fix it then he
will be resigned to a refund.

Jeff Underwood

1Scan.co.uk
freephotoscanning.com
From: Nigel Feltham on
Barry Watzman wrote:

> I service some Nikon scanners but not this model. Normally, if you
> disconnect the scanner from the computer, remove all film adapters and
> turn it on, the power light will blink for a while and then turn solid
> (NO MATTER WHAT). If it ONLY blinks SLOWLY before turning solid, it
> passed it's self test. But if it EVER blinks rapidly (even though it
> stops), it has failed it's self-test.

If it's possible to see the scanning head once film adaptors have been
removed on this model it's worth checking what it does during initialization
while the power LED is blinking. It should move to one end to locate it's
home sensor (not sure which end, older models moved the towards the rear)
then may move all or part way towards the front.

In the older models I own when the grease hardened the head wouldn't get
driven back to the rear of the unit so would creep to the front on
successive scans then stay there and fail with the error even after power
cycling - though not sure if your scanner is old enough to suffer from this
yet.

Any clicking noises or grinding when first powered on are also an indication
of the mechanism not being driven properly (a whirring noise is normal motor
movement though).

I've not used USB models of nikon though (mine are older SCSI connection) so
it's possible the scanner may interact with the PC on these and computer
problems cause scanner errors?
From: Barry Watzman on
I believe that the 8000 is scsi, but I'm not sure. The self test can be
performed "stand alone" no matter what.

From: 1Scan on
On Jan 11, 2:43 am, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> I believe that the 8000 is scsi, but I'm not sure.  The self test can be
> performed "stand alone" no matter what.
>

> Nigel Feltham wrote:
> > Barry Watzman wrote:
>
> >> I service some Nikon scanners but not this model.  Normally, if you
> >> disconnect the scanner from the computer, remove all film adapters and
> >> turn it on, the power light will blink for a while and then turn solid
> >> (NO MATTER WHAT).  If it ONLY blinks SLOWLY before turning solid, it
> >> passed it's self test.  But if it EVER blinks rapidly (even though it
> >> stops), it has failed it's self-test.
>
> > If it's possible to see the scanning head once film adaptors have been
> > removed on this model it's worth checking what it does during initialization
> > while the power LED is blinking. It should move to one end to locate it's
> > home sensor (not sure which end, older models moved the towards the rear)
> > then may move all or part way towards the front.
>
> > In the older models I own when the grease hardened the head wouldn't get
> > driven back to the rear of the unit so would creep to the front on
> > successive scans then stay there and fail with the error even after power
> > cycling - though not sure if your scanner is old enough to suffer from this
> > yet.
>
> > Any clicking noises or grinding when first powered on are also an indication
> > of the mechanism not being driven properly (a whirring noise is normal motor
> > movement though).
>
> > I've not used USB models of nikon though (mine are older SCSI connection) so
> > it's possible the scanner may interact with the PC on these and computer
> > problems cause scanner errors?

Just by way of a postscipt to my story with the Coolscan 8000 I bought
via eBay, and by the way the unit I had was firewire connected.

The seller visited me thinking this was nothing more than a software
glitch. After an hour tinkering on his MacBook, two of my Macs and my
Vista machine we came to agreement - the unit was faulty, he promptly
refunded my money and took the scanner away with him.

Subsequently a couple of things have happened. I got a reply from a
Nikon repair shop who said the worst case scenario was that the main
logic board needed to be replaced - £400 plus £100 labour plus cost /
time to transport the unit to their premises. Add VAT and that would
be over half what I had originally paid for the scanner.

The vendor has contacted me and independently he has had the unit
checked, the repair is less expensive and will come with a three month
warranty so if he puts it on the market again he can do so with
confidence.

I am left with the relief of a close shave, and wondering if scanners
such as this are worth buying without any form of warranty given the
potentially high repair bills.

Jeff Underwood
1Scan.co.uk
freephotoscanning.com
From: Toni Nikkanen on
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> writes:

> I believe that the 8000 is scsi, but I'm not sure. The self test can
> be performed "stand alone" no matter what.

I think it was also available in SCSI, but also in FireWire. The ones I've ever seen have been
Firewire but an SCSI version is possible I guess.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: What scanning software?
Next: trouble with Epson 4490