From: 1Scan on
I have acquired a used Nikon Coolscan 8000 which resolutely reports a
hardware failure when I switch it on. I've tried to connect it to two
Macs and an XP machine, with v4 of Nikon's scan software. Each time
the same standard hardware fault message although the power light is
solid green.

Before I draw the obvious conclusion can anyone suggest anything that
might overcome this, or a way to establish exactly what the fault
might be?

Jeff Underwood

1Scan.co.uk
freephotoscanning.com
From: CSM1 on
1Scan <jeff.underwood(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:dbeec17d-ec3b-4eba-8354-
0da75d035d2d(a)c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

> I have acquired a used Nikon Coolscan 8000 which resolutely reports a
> hardware failure when I switch it on. I've tried to connect it to two
> Macs and an XP machine, with v4 of Nikon's scan software. Each time
> the same standard hardware fault message although the power light is
> solid green.
>
> Before I draw the obvious conclusion can anyone suggest anything that
> might overcome this, or a way to establish exactly what the fault
> might be?
>
> Jeff Underwood
>
> 1Scan.co.uk
> freephotoscanning.com

I would contact the seller and ask if it is a working scanner or a piece
of junk.

The seller may be selling a broken scanner to get it out of his/her
house.

One other thing you might try, ViewScan is a stand alone scanner
software. Supports over 1200 scanners (he says).

http://www.hamrick.com/

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: Robert Peirce on
In article
<dbeec17d-ec3b-4eba-8354-0da75d035d2d(a)c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
1Scan <jeff.underwood(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have acquired a used Nikon Coolscan 8000 which resolutely reports a
> hardware failure when I switch it on. I've tried to connect it to two
> Macs and an XP machine, with v4 of Nikon's scan software. Each time
> the same standard hardware fault message although the power light is
> solid green.
>
> Before I draw the obvious conclusion can anyone suggest anything that
> might overcome this, or a way to establish exactly what the fault
> might be?

Have you tried VueScan?
From: Toni Nikkanen on
1Scan <jeff.underwood(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I have acquired a used Nikon Coolscan 8000 which resolutely reports a
> hardware failure when I switch it on. I've tried to connect it to two
> Macs and an XP machine, with v4 of Nikon's scan software. Each time
> the same standard hardware fault message although the power light is
> solid green.

Is there any obviously out-of-place noise involved also? I bought one that
was DOA that exhibited what you just describe + lots of extra noise. The
official Nikon repair representative in Finland (JAS-tekniikka) fixed it
promptly and it has worked great ever since. I believe the unit was
broken in transport as the box it arrive din was also clearly damaged -
these things are very delicate.

If you're in the UK as it seems, I guess Nikon support over there is solid
and you have a good chance of getting it repaired, if it comes to that. While
it is an old device it seems the "professional" status means that spares are
available for much longer than in $50 devices..
From: Barry Watzman on
I service some Nikon scanners but not this model. Normally, if you
disconnect the scanner from the computer, remove all film adapters and
turn it on, the power light will blink for a while and then turn solid
(NO MATTER WHAT). If it ONLY blinks SLOWLY before turning solid, it
passed it's self test. But if it EVER blinks rapidly (even though it
stops), it has failed it's self-test.

1Scan wrote:
> I have acquired a used Nikon Coolscan 8000 which resolutely reports a
> hardware failure when I switch it on. I've tried to connect it to two
> Macs and an XP machine, with v4 of Nikon's scan software. Each time
> the same standard hardware fault message although the power light is
> solid green.
>
> Before I draw the obvious conclusion can anyone suggest anything that
> might overcome this, or a way to establish exactly what the fault
> might be?
>
> Jeff Underwood
>
> 1Scan.co.uk
> freephotoscanning.com