From: Barry Watzman on
As I mentioned, I service some models of Nikon scanners although not the
8000 or 9000. I have serviced 300 to 500 units over the past 4 years or so.

In my experience, 80% of the units sold on E-Bay need service. Of
these, about 70%-80% don't work (at all), while of the remaining units,
they superficially work but the optics are so dirty that the images are
SEVERELY degraded compared to what the scanners should be producing.
Note that some users are so lacking in knowledge that they will not be
aware of a problem with these units.

A very common reaction from customers after I return a repaired unit is
"Damn you, now I have to rescan my entire collection of images !! You
created {hundreds, thousands} of hours of work for me !!"; I get this a
***LOT***

From: Silicon Sam on
On Jan 11, 9:27 am, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> As I mentioned, I service some models of Nikon scanners although not the
> 8000 or 9000.  I have serviced 300 to 500 units over the past 4 years or so.
>
> In my experience, 80% of the units sold on E-Bay need service.  Of
> these, about 70%-80% don't work (at all), while of the remaining units,
> they superficially work but the optics are so dirty that the images are
> SEVERELY degraded compared to what the scanners should be producing.
> Note that some users are so lacking in knowledge that they will not be
> aware of a problem with these units.
>
> A very common reaction from customers after I return a repaired unit is
> "Damn you, now I have to rescan my entire collection of images !!  You
> created {hundreds, thousands} of hours of work for me !!"; I get this a
> ***LOT***
>

> 1Scan wrote:
>
> > I am left with the relief of a close shave, and wondering if scanners
> > such as this are worth buying without any form of warranty given the
> > potentially high repair bills.
>
> > Jeff Underwood
> > 1Scan.co.uk
> > freephotoscanning.com

Since I am a tech, I always clean and lube my scanners I sell. I
have sold about 6 or 8 in the past few years. True, it's not be as
good and thorough as what you do, but I'd rather not sell a dirty and
questionably working scanner.

I still have a LS2000 that was a freebie off of CL, that I've
already gone through real quick clean and lube to see if it was
working, and it does.

Amazing the resale value, I bought my Coolscan V ED for something
like $250 off CL, and now it sells for close to $900? Yikes...
From: Toni Nikkanen on
Silicon Sam <siliconsam(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Amazing the resale value, I bought my Coolscan V ED for something
> like $250 off CL, and now it sells for close to $900? Yikes...

Yes, makes one wonder if Nikon should produce one more batch..

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: What scanning software?
Next: trouble with Epson 4490