From: Neil Harrington on

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Mark F wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:42:49 -0400, "Neil Harrington" wrote, in part:
>>> As someone mentioned a few days ago, "single-lens reflex" implies the
>>> use of
>>> a mirror. It will be very interesting to see what Nikon's "new type" of
>>> SLR
>>> is, but it sounds like the sort of interchangeable-lens EVF camera we've
>>> already seen from other makers -- "mirrorless single-lens reflex" is a
>>> contradiction in terms. My guess is somebody got something wrong in that
>>> report.
>> I had a "pellicle" camera in the 1960s that had a fixed mirror. I'm
>> not sure exactly what "reflex" refers to, but I think that "mirrorless
>> single-lens reflex" refers to the lack of a moving mirror
>
> Reflex means the mirror swings out of the way - reflexes.

No, it just means "reflector." Mirror lenses are sometimes called reflex
lenses for example. And no twin-lens reflex I ever owned or heard of had a
swinging mirror.

> But you could say Reflexless...
>
> Single Lens means *not* twin lens like this:
> http://www.amazon.com/Blackbird-35mm-Twin-Reflex-Camera/dp/B001TKW92M
>
> So it would be an Interchangeable Lens, Mirror-less, Non-twin-lens,
> Reflex-less camera (ILMLNTLRL).

But why have all the things it *doesn't* have part of the description?

Nikon's "ILC" seems good enough.

> :-)
>
> Try pronouncing that acronym!

Paul, I never even heard anyone pronounce "SLR." :-)

From: Paul Furman on
Neil Harrington wrote:
> "Paul Furman"<paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>> Mark F wrote:
>>> I had a "pellicle" camera in the 1960s that had a fixed mirror. I'm
>>> not sure exactly what "reflex" refers to, but I think that "mirrorless
>>> single-lens reflex" refers to the lack of a moving mirror
>>
>> Reflex means the mirror swings out of the way - reflexes.
>
> No, it just means "reflector." Mirror lenses are sometimes called reflex
> lenses for example. And no twin-lens reflex I ever owned or heard of had a
> swinging mirror.

Yeah, my bad - not thinking...

>> But you could say Reflexless...
>>
>> Single Lens means *not* twin lens like this:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Blackbird-35mm-Twin-Reflex-Camera/dp/B001TKW92M
>>
>> So it would be an Interchangeable Lens, Mirror-less, Non-twin-lens,
>> Reflex-less camera (ILMLNTLRL).
>
> But why have all the things it *doesn't* have part of the description?

Exactly!