From: Ripstah619 on
Hi All.
I have an old custom built computer.
MOBO: Foxconn 661M03-G-6EL
CPU: Intel P4 3.00GHz
RAM: 1GB
Ask me for more details I'm a little lazy at the moment.

Here's the problem:
Just reformatted my computer and after installing all the most up to
date drivers, I still don't have sound. After checking my MOBO for the
sound drivers I discovered that it uses RealTek AC'97 drivers.
Downloaded the latest version and installed them. Still no sound. Try
to play a song on WMP11 I get a "There may not be a sound device
installed on this computer" message. At first I thought that it might
just be WMP, but I also tried iTunes, and Real Player, all giving me
the same message. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what
the problem might be but I havent been able to figure out. If anyone
can help me I'd be much obliged. Thanks in advanced and expect more
thanks if you can help me out.

From: Rich Barry on
Give this a try. The driver for WinXP is the last one.
http://www.treiberupdate.de/treiber-download/download-51563-treiber-FOXCONN-FOXCONN%20661M03-G-6EL%20(Audio).html

From: Ripstah619 on
That doesn't work. Thanks though. When I run the setup, it gives me
one of those annoying errors that ask whether I want to send the
report in or not. I've tried sending it and it just closes meaning MS
does not have a hotfix for it. And the same happened to the other one
that I downloaded straight from both RealTek and Foxconn's websites.
Weird.

From: Brian A. on
Why did you reformat/reinstall?
Was the sound working before reformat/reinstall?
Have you tried booting to Safe Mode > Device Manager and removing Any/All Sound/Audio
devices related to your sound/audio device, rebooting and reinstalling?
What shows as your Default Sound device to use in Control Panel > Sounds and Audio
Devices applet > Audio tab?

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/