From: beewhit11 on
I'm using WSS 3.0 with service pack 1 (downloaded from Microsoft
website) and I have downloaded site templates from the Microsoft
website. I was able to upload the templates to the Site Template
Gallery. However, when I go to the New SharePoint Site page to create
a new site, the custom tab in the template selection area is not
displayed. Can someone help me figure out why the custom tab is
missing?

Thanks.
From: Anna on
Hi:)
did you followed the intructions from :
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288412.aspx after installing
the template?

Create a site
1.. Log on to the SharePoint site as a member of the Owners group.

2.. On the Site Actions menu, click Site Settings.

3.. In the Site Administration section, click Sites and workspaces.

4.. Click Create.

5.. On the New SharePoint Site page, fill in the information about your
new site.

6.. In the Template Selection section, click the Custom tab.

Any site admin application templates that have been uploaded will be
listed here.

7.. Click the template to use for the new site, and then click Create.

The following procedure will not remove any sites that were already created
by using the template. It will only prevent users from creating new sites
based on the template.

Here additional info on templates/installation:

Application Templates for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb407286.aspx

Anna

From: beewhit11 on
Hello,

Yes, I did follow the instructions on the website you listed. I've
been logging into Sharepoint as myself and I am a member of the owners
group. I had no problem getting the templates into the site template
gallery. Previously, these were the only templates in the gallery.
And when they were, the custom tab was not available in the New
Sharepoint Site page. However, I did create site templates of some
sites I had created. These were automatically put into the site
gallery. When I go back to the New Sharepoint Site page to create a
site, the custom tab is displayed. Yet, the original Microsoft
templates are still not available. So it appears that something is
preventing these uploaded templates from being available compared to
the templates that I created.

Thanks for you help!

From: Anna on
Hi,
honestly I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.
So: the templates created by yourself are automatically added and the
templated downloaded from MS page not? (even when installed and added as per
TechNet article??)

If so, I would consider updating WSS server with latest hot fix package and
then test it again. It's definetly not by-design behaviour.
Which templates exactely you have downloaded and installed?

Description of the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 hotfix package: August
26, 2008
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956057