From: Lindsay Graham on
I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years. A
long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to do a system
restore, but that never happened as I was then only using it
intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly, hibernate still
does not work and the computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down,
to the point that it is now very frustrating to use.

Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem to
have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia
From: 123Jim on

"Lindsay Graham" <LDGraham(a)aapt.net.au> wrote in message

> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years. A
> long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to do a system
> restore, but that never happened as I was then only using it
> intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly, hibernate still
> does not work and the computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down,
> to the point that it is now very frustrating to use.
>
> Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem to have
> any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?

System restore overwrites older restore points based on the amount of disk
space allocated for the system restore points.

You say you have three months of system restore .. but you say: system
restore does not work. Do you mean you can't restore your system to any of
those three months of restore points? (I have seen this often enough - the
solution is usually to restore in safe mode).

If you can restore in safe mode but still find that your system is slow ..
You need to look at things like: 1 - is your system malware free?, 2 - Which
programs are starting when you boot up? (and which ones you don't need),
- Do you need more RAM? 4 - Have you enough free disk space?

From: James Silverton on
123Jim wrote on Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:57:07 +0100:

> "Lindsay Graham" <LDGraham(a)aapt.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years.
>> A long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was
>> told to do a system restore, but that never happened as I was
>> then only using it intermittently. Now that I'm using it
>> more regularly, hibernate still does not work and the
>> computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down, to the
>> point that it is now very frustrating to use.
>>
>> Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not
>> seem to have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
>>
> System restore overwrites older restore points based on the
> amount of disk space allocated for the system restore points.

That is a very important consideration and you can change the allocation
if you think you don't have enough restore points.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

From: Unknown on
When was last time you ran disk cleanup?

From: Billns on
On 6/28/2010 7:23 AM, Lindsay Graham wrote:
> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years. A
> long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to do a system
> restore, but that never happened as I was then only using it
> intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly, hibernate still
> does not work and the computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down,
> to the point that it is now very frustrating to use.
>
> Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem to
> have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
>
> Lindsay Graham
> Canberra, Australia

I wouldn't trust system restore points that are three months old anyway.

System Restore is not a panacea. Use a backup program, preferably to an
external hard disk.

Bill