From: Nobody on
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 03:03:46 -0800 (PST), jslcr1 <jsl1305(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Might I "re-ask" this question where I received no response five weks
>> or so ago:
>>
>> I recently upgraded from Q Deluxe 1999 to Q2010 Home and Business
>> (Canada)... yeah, yeah, I know!
>>
>> The conversion was painless and perfectly executed. � The 2010 "one
>> big data file" threw me for a while.
>>
>> However, today I made an error while setting up a new "savings"
>> account, and in the process of trying to <delete> the boo-boo, Q2010
>> required permission by asking for a "transaction password".
>>
>> I've never set one up... the only password I had with Q99 was the
>> initial request when loading data, and that migrated successfully to
>> 2010.
>>
>> I managed to work around the error, but I'm now faced with no way to
>> change any transaction if need be because I don't know this password,
>> and I cannot set up a new one as Q2010 demands I provide the "old" one
>> first! �
>>
>> I never had such a beast.
>>
>> And no, it's not the same as my data password.
>>
>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>> I'm still faced with this "non-existent" password.
>
>Check this link for an answer.
>
>http://financialsoft.about.com/od/datasecurity/ss/Q_transpasswd.htm
>
>Also if you open Quicken and go to Help you will find more info about
>this such as
>
>Transaction passwords protect all transactions before a certain date.
>After you set up a transaction password, Quicken will prompt you for
>the password before you can record changes to any of the transactions
>dated on or before the date you specified. (You might use a
>transaction password when you close an accounting period so that no
>one accidentally changes transactions within that period.)
>
>Choose File menu > Open Quicken File to open the data file that
>contains the transactions you want to protect with a password.
> What does a transaction password protect?
>A transaction password protects only the transactions in a file before
>a specified date.
>
>Choose File menu > Set Password to modify transactions.
>In the Password field, type the password.
> What are the password requirements?
>You can type up to 15 characters, including spaces. Quicken is case
>sensitive. This means that if you specify aBc987, you must type aBc987
>and not abc987 or ABC987.
>
>In the Confirm Password field, reenter the same password.
>In the Required For Dates Through field, enter the date of the last
>transaction you want the password to apply to.
>Click OK.
> What happens next?
>From now on, Quicken prompts you for the password before you can
>record changes to any of the transactions dated on or before the date
>you specified. You can use this as a reminder not to change
>transactions for a specific accounting period by setting the date for
>the close of the accounting period.
>
>If you cannot remember your password, Intuit offers a password removal

I know all that.

You didn't read my message closely enough: Q2010 has taken upon itself
to set a transaction password unbeknownst to me

I did not ask for it. I can't change a password I never set, nor
know! To change a password, you have to enter the "old" one.

The only password that Q99 Deluxe required was my main log-in which
also kicked in if I tried to change an "old" transaction.

That main password was pciked up by Q2010 normally, and is in use.

But I'm hooped if I ever want to change a transaction...

Yeah, Intuit provides a a removal service... at a cost and only by
sending a data file physically to them.

I think not!
From: John Pollard on
Nobody wrote:
> [...]
>> you specified. You can use this as a reminder not to change
>> transactions for a specific accounting period by setting the date for
>> the close of the accounting period.
>>
>> If you cannot remember your password, Intuit offers a password
>> removal service.
>
> I know all that.
>
> You didn't read my message closely enough: Q2010 has taken upon itself
> to set a transaction password unbeknownst to me
>
> I did not ask for it. I can't change a password I never set, nor
> know! To change a password, you have to enter the "old" one.
>
> The only password that Q99 Deluxe required was my main log-in which
> also kicked in if I tried to change an "old" transaction.
>
> That main password was pciked up by Q2010 normally, and is in use.
>
> But I'm hooped if I ever want to change a transaction...
>
> Yeah, Intuit provides a a removal service... at a cost and only by

Well I read your post. Apparently you do not "know all that".

Intuit DID NOT "take it upon itself to set a transaction password"; what
you have is data corruption.

Intuit does not charge for removing a password ... clearly you did not
bother to check this before you posted.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Bruce. on
"drwtsn32" <drwtsn32(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> so I take itthere is NO way to not have a password.
> t should be our choice.

FWIW, I agree with you. I too would like the choice too. I store my
Quicken file on an encrypted volume so the required vault password offers no
additional security to me, just an extra annoyance.

Bruce.

From: drwtsn32 on
> FWIW, I agree with you.  I too would like the choice too.  I store my
> Quicken file on an encrypted volume so the required vault password offers no
> additional security to me, just an extra annoyance.

EXACTLY. Some of use TrueCrypt or other forms of protection. I am
trying to transition from Microsoft Money... it did not force you to
set a master password in order to remember passwords for downloading
bank transactions. Wish Quicken would give us the same option.

Thanks,
Rod
From: Nobody on
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:56:19 -0600, "John Pollard"
<8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Nobody wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 03:03:46 -0800 (PST), jslcr1 <jsl1305(a)hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

<severely snipped>

>>> If you cannot remember your password, Intuit offers a password
>>> removal service.
>>
>> I know all that.
>>
>> You didn't read my message closely enough: Q2010 has taken upon itself
>> to set a transaction password unbeknownst to me
>>
>> I did not ask for it. I can't change a password I never set, nor
>> know! To change a password, you have to enter the "old" one.
>>
>> The only password that Q99 Deluxe required was my main log-in which
>> also kicked in if I tried to change an "old" transaction.
>>
>> That main password was pciked up by Q2010 normally, and is in use.
>>
>> But I'm hooped if I ever want to change a transaction...
>>
>> Yeah, Intuit provides a a removal service... at a cost and only by
>> sending a data file physically to them.
>>
>> I think not!
>
>Well I read your post. Apparently you do not "know all that".
>
>Intuit DID NOT "take it upon itself to set a transaction password"; what
>you have is data corruption.
>
>Intuit does not charge for removing a password ... clearly you did not
>bother to check this before you posted.

<sigh>

First, Intuit/Quicken do intimate that a fee is possible for password
retrieval:

http://support.intuit.ca/quicken/en-ca/kb/data/file-management/27.html

It's even highlighted in the last paragraph.

Now, let me re-phrase my problem:

I set up a new account in Q2010 -- in doing so, I make a mistake --
when I try to correct the mistake, Q requests that I enter a
transaction password.

This is the first time I've experienced this while using Q2010 -- the
only password that was in use with Q99 Deluxe was the "master"
password which migrated successfully.

While using Q99, if I changed or corrected an entry, the "master"
password permitted the change.

When in Q2010, I go to either set or change the "transaction"
password, the pop-up box requires that the old password be entered
before a new one can be applied.

The only "old" password is the master -- and the change password
protocol won't recognise it.

If you wish to label that as a somehow corrupted file, so be it. To
my mind, there is a password entered over which I have no knowledge or
control.

Thank you.