From: Han on
"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in news:4b94f653$0$4987$607ed4bc(a)cv.net:

> Han wrote:
>> ... I have a block on the name of the Intuit guy who used to help in
>> years long passed. He went away in frustration.
>
> Han- See your (!) comment on 12/20/2003 in
> http://www.accountantforums.com/turbo-tax-gotcha-state-tax-refunds-and-
> amt-t28589.html . His name was Bruce Lee. (We ought to put this
> question/answer in some Quicken trivia forum ... it seems to come up
> every year!)

As I said, I had a block on Bruce's name. Apart from that I recall him
fondly. Thanks for reminding me!

--
Best regards
Han
From: Targ on
In alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, Han wrote:

>What's so bad about a password? You could use "boo" if nothing else
>strikes your fancy. Secure is better than insecure, even if you are
>absolutely sure your machine will never get stolen.

I just tried, and Quicken 2010 requires at least 6 alphanumeric
characters.
From: Targ on
In alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, jslcr1 wrote:

>What are the password requirements?
>You can type up to 15 characters, including spaces. Quicken is case
>sensitive. This means that if you specify aBc987, you must type aBc987
>and not abc987 or ABC987.

Quicken 2010 says it requires at least 6 alphanumeric characters.
Space is not alphanumeric. However I tried it, and it accepted
special characters too.
From: Walt Bilofsky on
Nobody <jock(a)soccer.com> wrote:

>Might I "re-ask" this question where I received no response five weks
>or so ago:
>
>I recently upgraded from Q Deluxe 1999 to Q2010 Home and Business
>(Canada)... yeah, yeah, I know!
>
>The conversion was painless and perfectly executed. The 2010 "one
>big data file" threw me for a while.
>
>However, today I made an error while setting up a new "savings"
>account, and in the process of trying to <delete> the boo-boo, Q2010
>required permission by asking for a "transaction password".
>
>I've never set one up... the only password I had with Q99 was the
>initial request when loading data, and that migrated successfully to
>2010.
>
>I managed to work around the error, but I'm now faced with no way to
>change any transaction if need be because I don't know this password,
>and I cannot set up a new one as Q2010 demands I provide the "old" one
>first!
>
>I never had such a beast.
>
>And no, it's not the same as my data password.
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
>I'm still faced with this "non-existent" password.

How about backing out to the previous version of your data files in
the Backup directory?

On a broader scale - I keep my system and critical data on a
relatively small C: drive (< 30 gigs). Every day at 3 am Acronis True
Image does an incremental backup of this drive onto another much
larger drive. Every couple of months I do a full backup, save it on
some DVDs, and start the incremental backups over.

So if something gets blatzed, I can mount the backup for any given day
and restore files from it. This saves my butt about once a month.

-Walt Bilofsky