From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <i0utkp$te0$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
White Spirit <wspirit(a)homechoice.co.uk> wrote:
>On 06/07/2010 08:50, Chris wrote:
>
>> If you're willing to spent a bit more and if you're looking for a more
>featured
>> and open OS, check out the N900 with which I'm totally satisfied (apart from
>> the battery life - need to charge every day, and missing Line2 support).
>
>The battery life is no worse than my N96 so far. Heavy use of any smart
>'phone will drain the battery quite quickly.

I can get 2 days out of my N900. I'm not a power-user though - a few
short calls, (both GSM and SIP via Wi-Fi) bit of browsing, the odd game
when bored - mostly on Wi-Fi and the odd data call when out and about -
mostly on 2G where I live though.

I run with bluetooth and gps turned off for the most part though.

Battery life improved dramatically after the recent software update,
but not quite the 4-5 days on my old E90...

Gordon
From: Chris Blunt on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:29:57 +0100, Daniel James <daniel(a)me.invalid>
wrote:

>My one criticism is that the touch screen -- which I thought was great
>wen she got it -- is SO much less responsive than that of my HTC Legend
>that it now seems almost a pain to use.

I would agree with that. I find the slider bar at the right hand side
of the screen particularly difficult to use.

Chris
From: White Spirit on
On 14/07/2010 22:22, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I can get 2 days out of my N900. I'm not a power-user though - a few
> short calls, (both GSM and SIP via Wi-Fi) bit of browsing, the odd game
> when bored - mostly on Wi-Fi and the odd data call when out and about -
> mostly on 2G where I live though.

> I run with bluetooth and gps turned off for the most part though.

> Battery life improved dramatically after the recent software update,
> but not quite the 4-5 days on my old E90...

I just requested a new SIM card from Vodafone as I have had my previous
one since 2001. I read that older SIM cards use more voltage, which
will affect battery life.

Keeping the 'phone on silent also seems to help.
From: Steve Terry on
"Ian F." <wowfabgroovy(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> I was thinking of getting one but have heard some bad reports from pals,
> even though the online reviews seem OK. I've always had good advice here,
> so is there anyone here who can recommend it, or otherwise?
> Thanks,
> Ian

For what it costs the N97 is pretty underwhelming

Why not wait for the new Nokia N8?
http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n8?cid=ncomprod-fw-src-na-acq-nokia_n8-google-gb-20-n8_113

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Daniel James on
In article <pict36pfr50fgj5r2gs95om22jem17tjdo(a)4ax.com>, Peter wrote:
> Daniel James <daniel(a)me.invalid> wrote
> >... /very/ occasionally and for no apparent reason it
> >gets into a state in which incoming calls are sent directly to
> >voicemail without the phone even ringing (despite no diverts being
> >set).
>
> I think many phones do this, inexplicably. I had a 6310i for years
> which did that, and my E51 does it too.

It never happened with my 6310i! Not once in 9+ years. I did have the
firmware updated (in 2002?) to the version that wasn't susceptible to
the Bluetooth hacks that were then in vogue, but apart from that it has
been trouble-free for nearly a decade.

The 6310i was and is the best 2.5G non-smart phone ever made. I'd still
be using mine but for the fact that my Palm Tungsten is falling to
bits, which prompted the move to Android (new Palms PDAs being
unobtainable, and the alternatives being too awful to contemplate).

I may actually switch back to the 6310i for my holiday in the north of
Scotland, later this year, as I know 3G/mobile internet isn't available
up there at all and the 2G phone signal is weak enough that the 6310i's
superior signal-getting ability will be an advantage.

Cheers,
Daniel.