From: Daniel James on
In article <i1nrvd$e98$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Steve Terry wrote:
> For what it costs the N97 is pretty underwhelming
>
> Why not wait for the new Nokia N8?
> http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n8?cid=ncomprod-fw-src-na-acq-nokia_n8-google-gb-20-n8_113

It's an interesting piece of kit ... but for many people the
attraction of the N97 is the physical keyboard.

... and I really do NOT see the point of a 12MPix camera sensor when
the lens is a tiny plastic button with a focal length that must be
less than 1cm -- all that will do is give over-large JPEG files with
hardly any more definition than you'd get with half the pixels.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Steve Terry on
"Daniel James" <daniel(a)me.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <i1nrvd$e98$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Steve Terry wrote:
>> For what it costs the N97 is pretty underwhelming
>>
>> Why not wait for the new Nokia N8?
>> http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n8?cid=ncomprod-fw-src-na-acq-nokia_n8-google-gb-20-n8_113
>
> It's an interesting piece of kit ... but for many people the
> attraction of the N97 is the physical keyboard.

For many the attraction of the N8 will be Nokia going back to Symbian

Maemo on the current N900 has encouraged many to look elsewhere,
such as to Android phones

Maybe Nokia should be looking to go Android?

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Chris Blunt on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:17:28 +0100, Daniel James <daniel(a)me.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <i1nrvd$e98$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Steve Terry wrote:
>> For what it costs the N97 is pretty underwhelming
>>
>> Why not wait for the new Nokia N8?
>> http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n8?cid=ncomprod-fw-src-na-acq-nokia_n8-google-gb-20-n8_113
>
>It's an interesting piece of kit ... but for many people the
>attraction of the N97 is the physical keyboard.

The full keyboard was one of the main attractions of the N97 for me
too.

If the N8 had a similar soft-keyboard on the touch-screen when held
horizontally it might match the N97 in convenience for data entry. If
not, then I don't think I'd want to go back to the old system of
multiple key presses in order to enter characters.

Chris
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <i1qobi$u72$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Steve Terry <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote:
>"Daniel James" <daniel(a)me.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article <i1nrvd$e98$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Steve Terry wrote:
>>> For what it costs the N97 is pretty underwhelming
>>>
>>> Why not wait for the new Nokia N8?
>>>
>http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n8?cid=ncomprod-fw-src-na-acq-nokia_n8-google-gb-20-n8_113
>>
>> It's an interesting piece of kit ... but for many people the
>> attraction of the N97 is the physical keyboard.
>>

>For many the attraction of the N8 will be Nokia going back to Symbian
>
>Maemo on the current N900 has encouraged many to look elsewhere,
>such as to Android phones
>
>Maybe Nokia should be looking to go Android?

The N900 should be capable of running Andriod - I'm surprised that
no-ones working on a port - or maybe they are and keeping quite about it!

Ah, a quick google shows:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/nokia-n900-running-android-2-1-still-rough-around-the-edges/

and others... so it's only a matter of time...

Gordon
From: Daniel James on
wrote:
> For many the attraction of the N8 will be Nokia going back to Symbian

A bit of a mixed blessing ... Symbian has quite a nice GUI, but it's a
bit of a pig to program for so the portfolio of third-party apps is
more limited than one might hope.

> Maemo on the current N900 has encouraged many to look elsewhere,
> such as to Android phones

I really liked Maemo. I was all set to get an N900 when it came out,
but found the pixel size on the screen too small. It has 10% more
screen space than an iPhone and almost three times as many pixels ...
giving a dot-pitch of 0.1mm. That's too small, and I found I could only
just read it even with my reading glasses.

> Maybe Nokia should be looking to go Android?

I don't see that happening. Nokia has too much invested in Symbian,
Maemo/Mi-Go, and Qt. Android is the /competition/!

What I *do* see happening is a move towards Qt applications running on
phone OSes that have Symbian or Linux/Maemo/Meego underneath. Qt is
MUCH nicer to code for than Symbian, and having the same GUI layer on
top of Symbian and Linux should enable third parties to write apps that
will run across the range of Nokia phones regardless of the underlying
architectures.

For myself, I've (somewhat reluctantly) left the Nokia fold and got an
HTC Legend. Lower screen res than the N900 (or the Desire) but a little
clearer for the ageing eyes and quite a nice OS. Android has a lot of
potential, but not all of it has yet been realized -- there are a few
rough edges. On the whole, though, I find it impressive. I'd happily
sacrifice a little of the Legend's compactness and stylishness for a
physically larger display and a bigger battery, though. Maybe the Dell
brick thing is the way to go?

Cheers,
Daniel.