From: JeanPaulo on
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:32:48 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>Inline.
>
>JeanPaulo wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:24:58 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But IMO, it is logical to cut your losses. I wouldn't keep Norton
>>> 360; there are far too many reports of unsatisfied users to justify
>>> sticking with this problematic suite. The following combination (all
>>> free programs) would be an excellent substitution:
>>>
>>> 1. Windows Firewall (part of Windows XP)
>>>
>>> 2. Avira Antivir (antivirus)
>>>
>>> 3. MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware (otherantimalware
>>> programs)

Well, I folloed your advice, killed Norton, and installed Avira.
Allright, now,
I am waiting to see what happens...
From: Daave on
JeanPaulo wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:32:48 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> Inline.
>>
>> JeanPaulo wrote:

> Well, I folloed your advice, killed Norton, and installed Avira.
> Allright, now,
> I am waiting to see what happens...

I know it was hard for you to break away from Norton, but I think you
did yourself a big favor in the long run. Glad to help. And happy
computing!

From: JeanPaulo on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:23:09 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>JeanPaulo wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:32:48 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Inline.

>> Well, I folloed your advice, killed Norton, and installed Avira.
>> Allright, now,
>> I am waiting to see what happens...
>
>I know it was hard for you to break away from Norton, but I think you
>did yourself a big favor in the long run. Glad to help. And happy
>computing!

Too bad. I just had the same problem again, with a 'Avguard.tmp' file
corrupted (always this index $I30 ??) although I am not certain that
there was not a system freeze (unknown reason) before shutdown.

I am waiting for more facts. But I guess Norton was not really bad!
From: Daave on
JeanPaulo wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:23:09 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> JeanPaulo wrote:

>>> Well, I folloed your advice, killed Norton, and installed Avira.
>>> Allright, now,
>>> I am waiting to see what happens...
>>
>> I know it was hard for you to break away from Norton, but I think you
>> did yourself a big favor in the long run. Glad to help. And happy
>> computing!
>>

> Too bad. I just had the same problem again, with a 'Avguard.tmp' file
> corrupted (always this index $I30 ??) although I am not certain that
> there was not a system freeze (unknown reason) before shutdown.

What exactly is the problem again? One of the problems with a thread
this long is that it is easy to lose track of pertinent events. In your
first post, you stated:

> Second, every 5 or so reboot, I get weird 'Disk Errors'

Is this your problem still? It would be helpful to give us the complete
message and anything else that you deem pertinent.

You did run the Norton removal tool, correct?

Also, check the Event Viewer for errors.

One thing you can try is running Ccleaner and then reboot.

Also, these pages may have useful info:

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=791899

http://forum.avira.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=784685

> I am waiting for more facts.

Facts would be helpful, yes!

> But I guess Norton was not really bad!

You *could* always reinstall it. But since so many users have reported
issues with Norton 360, I couldn't recommend doing this. Your call, of
course. (I am aware that the *newest* version of Norton has received
better reviews with regard to performance issues and conflicts.)

If this problem never goes away, you might want to consider a Clean
Install. Although it's time-consuming, sometimes it is the best course
of action.

From: JeanPaulo on
Ok, le'st try just the main facts.

This IS a clean install. I changed my system disk (and bought a new
one) because I had the problem, and Seagate told me that my disk was
failling!

I did last a total remove of Norton 360 (including Symantec and Norton
remaining directories)

So the story is that since November, I keep getting those disk errors,
almost always at the same place, but on a different unit, a new
system, and Avira instead of Norton.

Five different AV did not find any 'working' bug (Avira found one a
bit doubtful in a rarely used program)

I cannot get the exact error message in chkdsk (Where is the log ?),
and it always says that Index $I30 is corrupt (I am doubting that this
is usefull information, though, without more data)

The problem ALWAYS occurs after shutdown, and the file seems to be
always 'temporary' or 'logging' type (Like Avguard.tmp last time)

I am not even considering going back to Norton yet (It is working fine
on a Notebook, a bit slow and too 'user do not need to know' for my
taste.

I have yet to try Cccleaner (and a bit afraid to do it!)

Thanks for the help.