From: JeanPaulo on
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:04:35 +0100, JeanPaulo
<jean.paulo.bidon(a)free.fr> wrote:

>I have a weird problem with XP and Norton 360. Of course Norton denies
>anything to do with it !

After dallying a lot, I am now thinking 'Virus/Trojan'.

After a reboot (not every time, but twice a week), I got the message :

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Norton\SRTSP\LightningSand.CFD
is corrupted, please run chkdsk...

As it is a Norton directory, I suspected Norton, but they have been
helpless....

Then, I do remark :
Norton, Spybot, Adaware do not detect anything wrong.

Hijackthis do not show anything obvious.

After the chkdsk, the file is GONE. But Norton does not care ...

(before the chkdsk, the file is not accessible because of the
disk/pointer/directory error)

There are several postes about this file as a virus 'clue', but
nothing really conclusive.

Anyway, the answer to my submission by Seagate was 'Replace the disk'.

I did this, change the system disk and rebuild my whole XP pro
install, and

I stil have the problem here.... (100 � and 1 week of work lost)

From: Daave on
JeanPaulo wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:04:35 +0100, JeanPaulo
> <jean.paulo.bidon(a)free.fr> wrote:
>
>> I have a weird problem with XP and Norton 360. Of course Norton
>> denies anything to do with it !
>>
> After dallying a lot, I am now thinking 'Virus/Trojan'.
>
> After a reboot (not every time, but twice a week), I got the message :
>
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
> Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Norton\SRTSP\LightningSand.CFD
> is corrupted, please run chkdsk...
>
> As it is a Norton directory, I suspected Norton, but they have been
> helpless....
>
> Then, I do remark :
> Norton, Spybot, Adaware do not detect anything wrong.
>
> Hijackthis do not show anything obvious.
>
> After the chkdsk, the file is GONE. But Norton does not care ...
>
> (before the chkdsk, the file is not accessible because of the
> disk/pointer/directory error)
>
> There are several postes about this file as a virus 'clue', but
> nothing really conclusive.
>
> Anyway, the answer to my submission by Seagate was 'Replace the disk'.
>
> I did this, change the system disk and rebuild my whole XP pro
> install, and
>
> I stil have the problem here.... (100 � and 1 week of work lost)

Have you reached the conclusion that it is time to cut your losses (100
� and 1 week of work lost) yet?

Or do you plan on spending more time or money on this particular
problem?

If you choose to pursue this further (not my recommendation!), you need
to post to a Norton users forum.

If you had unlimited time to troubleshoot, one thing you could do is
create an image of your drive and then uninstall Norton and then run
their Removal Tool. Chances are your problem will be gone. Then you
could decide if it is worth your while to keep Norton. If you are really
committed to Norton 360, you would then restore the image and spend more
time troubleshooting and trying to solve the problem. You have already
ruled out a physically bad hard drive. Perhaps another Norton user can
help you solve your particular problem.

But IMO, it is logical to cut your losses. I wouldn't keep Norton 360;
there are far too many reports of unsatisfied users to justify sticking
with this problematic suite. The following combination (all free
programs) would be an excellent substitution:

1. Windows Firewall (part of Windows XP)

2. Avira Antivir (antivirus)

3. MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware (otherantimalware
programs)

From: JeanPaulo on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:24:58 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

It is now some kind of a vengeance thing.

Weirdly, I set an Explorer page to the directory, and the 'bad file'
is NOT there at all.

So, when and where this Lightningsand.cfd file is created ?

Beside it, all is fine. So, Norton, or XP, or a not detected virus ?

Malware bytes did not detect anything suspect (3 dormant virus files,
never executed, and a Hosts file in /windows (but looks like text only
to me)

Thanks

From: Daave on
Inline.

JeanPaulo wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:24:58 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
> It is now some kind of a vengeance thing.

Yeah, I got that impression!

> Weirdly, I set an Explorer page to the directory, and the 'bad file'
> is NOT there at all.
>
> So, when and where this Lightningsand.cfd file is created ?

Ask other Norton users is the only advice I can offer.

> Beside it, all is fine. So, Norton, or XP, or a not detected virus ?
>
> Malware bytes did not detect anything suspect (3 dormant virus files,
> never executed, and a Hosts file in /windows (but looks like text only
> to me)

Here is the proper location for the hosts file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Is this what you are referring to?

How large is your hosts file and what was the date it was last modified?

FWIW, I use the hosts file from here:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The last time I updated it was December 10. Both MBAM and Avira come up
negative when they scan it. Interestingly, back in December, Avira wound
up detecting a false positive in it! The name of the supposed infection:

HTML/Rce.Gen HTML script virus

From: JeanPaulo on
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:32:48 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>Inline.
>
>JeanPaulo wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:24:58 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>>

>> Weirdly, I set an Explorer page to the directory, and the 'bad file'
>> is NOT there at all.
>>
>> So, when and where this Lightningsand.cfd file is created ?
>

>Ask other Norton users is the only advice I can offer.

I am not sure at all that it IS a norton file.

I had a directory showing there all day yesterday. It never showed
that damned file.
However, this morning an auto chkdsk showed this file as damaged
(between shutdown and reboot !!!)

I am getting mad!

>Here is the proper location for the hosts file:
>
>C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
>
>Is this what you are referring to?
I know. I have a file there, containing MY false addresses, and I do
have a program checking every days that is was NOT modified

However, the detected HOSTS file was in /windows, and was 36 K
mine is 34 K

>How large is your hosts file and what was the date it was last modified?
>
>FWIW, I use the hosts file from here:
>
>http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
>The last time I updated it was December 10. Both MBAM and Avira come up
>negative when they scan it. Interestingly, back in December, Avira wound
>up detecting a false positive in it! The name of the supposed infection:
>
>HTML/Rce.Gen HTML script virus

here is the Malware line :
E:\WINDOWS\hosts (Trojan.Agent) -> Not selected for removal.
(I wanted to have a look at it first)