From: JeanPaulo on
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:59:36 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>JeanPaulo wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 07:00:06 +0100, JeanPaulo
>> <jean.paulo.bidon(a)free.fr> wrote:

>> Just a thought !
>>
>> My first disk is divided into 4 partitions, XP system on the second
>> one, and all my data on the third.
>>
>> I NEVER had any errors on the other three partitions !
>>
>> Jean Paulo.
>
>How many disks do you have? And how does your original disk (the one you
>replaced) enter the equation?

I have two units, one 80 Go Seagate IDE, and a second 1To new Seagate
Sata. I wanted to put the XP system on the Sata, but was unable to
make it work, as my main board does not BIOS recognize Sata.
(Asus A7v8x)

The 'old bad' (Sight!) was a 160 Go Maxtor.

Seatools (Dos) does not see any problems, but (XP tool) does not
work at all (can't even read SMART data)

>On your first disk, XP is apparently on E:. Do you also have another
>instance of XP on C:?

NO, and no multiboot.

>Please tell us what is on every single partition you have. So far, all
>you have said is that XP is on the "second partition" and data is on the
>"third partition." What about the first and fourth partitions? What
>about your other disks?

C is just a small FAT partition usable with DOS stuff and the initial
boot

D is the first partition on the 1 To, and contains data (videos....)
and pictures (This is how the disk are recognized, 1 IDE, then 1 Sata)

E is the system disk and programms (and swap file) (80 Go)

F contains my datas (Access, Office, mails, VB, C), but no programs
except some VB homemade (also on the 80 Go)

G to J are data only disks on the 1To

>And looking at the other post, it really looks like you did not perform
>a proper Clean Install.

I started from a newly formatted partition, and re-installed
everything, starting from XP, then Norton, then all my usual programms
from the 'setup's files. The old XP system was on the discarded disk.

>Finally, when you say that you have "all [your] data on the third"
>partition, is it possible you have installed programs to that partition
>as well? (Although having a separate partition for data *only* is not a
>bad idea, programs should always be on the same partition as the OS.)

No. And my backups are usually only made for this partition.

And as I said, except after some freezing (my DVD player was freezing
XP in some instances, needing a 'hard' reboot), I never had any errors
on the 'data' disk, being the current one or the old 'bad' disk. (I am
fully convinced that it was not a disk problem)

Regards, Jean Paulo.
From: Daave on
JeanPaulo wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:59:36 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> JeanPaulo wrote:

>>> Just a thought !
>>>
>>> My first disk is divided into 4 partitions, XP system on the second
>>> one, and all my data on the third.
>>>
>>> I NEVER had any errors on the other three partitions !
>>>
>>> Jean Paulo.
>>
>> How many disks do you have? And how does your original disk (the one
>> you replaced) enter the equation?
>>
> I have two units, one 80 Go Seagate IDE, and a second 1To new Seagate
> Sata. I wanted to put the XP system on the Sata, but was unable to
> make it work, as my main board does not BIOS recognize Sata.
> (Asus A7v8x)
>
> The 'old bad' (Sight!) was a 160 Go Maxtor.
>
> Seatools (Dos) does not see any problems, but (XP tool) does not
> work at all (can't even read SMART data)
>
>> On your first disk, XP is apparently on E:. Do you also have another
>> instance of XP on C:?
>>
> NO, and no multiboot.
>
>> Please tell us what is on every single partition you have. So far,
>> all you have said is that XP is on the "second partition" and data
>> is on the "third partition." What about the first and fourth
>> partitions? What about your other disks?
>
> C is just a small FAT partition usable with DOS stuff and the initial
> boot
>
> D is the first partition on the 1 To, and contains data (videos....)
> and pictures (This is how the disk are recognized, 1 IDE, then 1 Sata)
>
> E is the system disk and programms (and swap file) (80 Go)
>
> F contains my datas (Access, Office, mails, VB, C), but no programs
> except some VB homemade (also on the 80 Go)
>
> G to J are data only disks on the 1To
>>
>> And looking at the other post, it really looks like you did not
>> perform a proper Clean Install.
>>
> I started from a newly formatted partition, and re-installed
> everything, starting from XP, then Norton, then all my usual programms
> from the 'setup's files. The old XP system was on the discarded disk.
>
>> Finally, when you say that you have "all [your] data on the third"
>> partition, is it possible you have installed programs to that
>> partition as well? (Although having a separate partition for data
>> *only* is not a bad idea, programs should always be on the same
>> partition as the OS.)
>>

> No. And my backups are usually only made for this partition.
>
> And as I said, except after some freezing (my DVD player was freezing
> XP in some instances, needing a 'hard' reboot), I never had any errors
> on the 'data' disk, being the current one or the old 'bad' disk. (I am
> fully convinced that it was not a disk problem)
>
> Regards, Jean Paulo.

I don't think any of your hard drives are bad, either.

Disregard what I said earlier about it looking like you hadn't performed
a Clean Install. I had erroneously assumed you had performed a *second*
clean install, which of course would have meant there would not have
been any references to lightningsand.cfd.

Are you currently having any problems? That one issue with Avira might
have just been a hiccup. Did you happen to look at these pages?:

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=791899

http://forum.avira.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=784685

From: JeanPaulo on
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:16:31 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>JeanPaulo wrote:

>I don't think any of your hard drives are bad, either.
>
>Disregard what I said earlier about it looking like you hadn't performed
>a Clean Install. I had erroneously assumed you had performed a *second*
>clean install, which of course would have meant there would not have
>been any references to lightningsand.cfd.
>
>Are you currently having any problems? That one issue with Avira might
>have just been a hiccup. Did you happen to look at these pages?:
>
>http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=791899
>
>http://forum.avira.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=784685

Yes.
I agree that the latest crash may be accidental (as I said, it
followed a 'hard reboot' when the system freezed), and the avira file
could be corrupted because of that.

I am now waiting. As the problem occured irregularly, I will feel it
solved if it does not occurs again the next month....

So for now, thanks for your help, I will reopened a thread if
necessary.
From: Daave on
JeanPaulo wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:16:31 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> JeanPaulo wrote:

>> I don't think any of your hard drives are bad, either.
>>
>> Disregard what I said earlier about it looking like you hadn't
>> performed a Clean Install. I had erroneously assumed you had
>> performed a *second* clean install, which of course would have meant
>> there would not have been any references to lightningsand.cfd.
>>
>> Are you currently having any problems? That one issue with Avira
>> might have just been a hiccup. Did you happen to look at these
>> pages?:
>>
>> http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=791899
>>
>> http://forum.avira.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=784685
>>
> Yes.
> I agree that the latest crash may be accidental (as I said, it
> followed a 'hard reboot' when the system freezed), and the avira file
> could be corrupted because of that.
>
> I am now waiting. As the problem occured irregularly, I will feel it
> solved if it does not occurs again the next month....
>
> So for now, thanks for your help, I will reopened a thread if
> necessary.

YW. Good luck!