From: C J Campbell on
On 2009-11-22 21:46:06 -0800, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) said:

> C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?
>>
>> Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors <gasp> hunting!
>
> You're missing the point.
>
>> Of
>> course, we all know that the photographs on the original
>
> It's the fact that Nikon is SPONSORING the event that is the issue.

I guess I am just not shocked at the idea that a company that
manufactures hunting supplies might sponsor hunting contests.

But then, I was born in Idaho...

I loved the one comment on the thread -- the assertion that children
exposed to such twisted violence must grow up to be psychopaths. I
guess that explains why all third world countries and practically
everyone who was born before 1960 or who ever lived on a farm, or
anyone else who does not buy their meat in neat little plastic wrapped
packages, is a psychopath, eh? Better watch out! I am a dangerous
psychopath! But you probably knew that all along.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Matt Ion on
On 23/11/2009 9:13 AM, C J Campbell wrote:
> On 2009-11-22 21:46:06 -0800, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) said:
>
>> C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors <gasp> hunting!
>>
>> You're missing the point.
>>
>>> Of
>>> course, we all know that the photographs on the original
>>
>> It's the fact that Nikon is SPONSORING the event that is the issue.
>
> I guess I am just not shocked at the idea that a company that
> manufactures hunting supplies might sponsor hunting contests.
>
> But then, I was born in Idaho...
>
> I loved the one comment on the thread -- the assertion that children
> exposed to such twisted violence must grow up to be psychopaths. I guess
> that explains why all third world countries and practically everyone who
> was born before 1960 or who ever lived on a farm, or anyone else who
> does not buy their meat in neat little plastic wrapped packages, is a
> psychopath, eh? Better watch out! I am a dangerous psychopath! But you
> probably knew that all along.

Guess that includes me too, then... and everyone else I went to school
with. I suppose the fact that hunter education was part of the Grade 8
curriculum means we're state-created psychopaths.

From: Private on

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) said:
>
>> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=33770272
>>
>> At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?
>
> Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors <gasp> hunting! Of
> course, we all know that the photographs on the original
> anti-hunting/anti-Nikon web site are real, depict that actual event, and
> are unretouched, right?
>
> And now, for the lighter side of predator hunting, I bring you this actual
> NTSB report, just in case you think the hunters always win:
>
> SEA02LA058
> On March 25, 2002, about 0720 mountain standard time, a Piper PA-18-150,
> N22EV, sustained substantial damage after colliding with terrain near Fort
> Peck, Montana. The airplane is owned by the pilot, and was being operated
> as a visual flight rules (VFR) flight under the provisions of Title 14,
> CFR Part 91. The commercial pilot-in-command and passenger sustained
> serious injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight
> plan was filed.??The pilot was conducting a predator (coyote) control
> flight over private rangeland near Fort Peck. During the flight, at a
> reported altitude of approximately 40 feet above ground level (AGL), the
> passenger inadvertently discharged a semiautomatic 12-gauge shotgun. The
> pilot, who was seated in the forward seat, reported that the gun fired 3-4
> times, striking the right wing, fuel tank and aileron assembly. He
> reported that the damage resulted in a loss of aileron and elevator
> control. The airplane entered a descending turn to the right and
> subsequently impacted terrain in a nose-low attitude. The pilot reported
> the aircraft was on fire upon touchdown and continued to burn after the
> impact. ??The pilot reported that there were no preexisting mechanical
> malfunctions or failures that contributed to the accident. ?
>
> --
> Waddling Eagle
> World Famous Flight Instructor

The NTSB database contains many similar crash reports involving low level
shooting activities in&from Cubs and similar aircraft. Most are stall-spin
and CFIT but IIRC a surprising number are also directly gunshot related.
IMHO, The activities cost outcomes seem to be greater than any marginal and
temporary benefit.

Happy landings,

From: C J Campbell on
On 2009-11-23 22:55:45 -0800, "Private" <please(a)dont.bother> said:

> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?
>>
>> Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors <gasp> hunting! Of
>> course, we all know that the photographs on the original
>> anti-hunting/anti-Nikon web site are real, depict that actual event, and
>> are unretouched, right?
>>
>> And now, for the lighter side of predator hunting, I bring you this actual
>> NTSB report, just in case you think the hunters always win:
>>
>> SEA02LA058
>> On March 25, 2002, about 0720 mountain standard time, a Piper PA-18-150,
>> N22EV, sustained substantial damage after colliding with terrain near Fort
>> Peck, Montana. The airplane is owned by the pilot, and was being operated
>> as a visual flight rules (VFR) flight under the provisions of Title 14,
>> CFR Part 91. The commercial pilot-in-command and passenger sustained
>> serious injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight
>> plan was filed.??The pilot was conducting a predator (coyote) control
>> flight over private rangeland near Fort Peck. During the flight, at a
>> reported altitude of approximately 40 feet above ground level (AGL), the
>> passenger inadvertently discharged a semiautomatic 12-gauge shotgun. The
>> pilot, who was seated in the forward seat, reported that the gun fired 3-4
>> times, striking the right wing, fuel tank and aileron assembly. He
>> reported that the damage resulted in a loss of aileron and elevator
>> control. The airplane entered a descending turn to the right and
>> subsequently impacted terrain in a nose-low attitude. The pilot reported
>> the aircraft was on fire upon touchdown and continued to burn after the
>> impact. ??The pilot reported that there were no preexisting mechanical
>> malfunctions or failures that contributed to the accident. ?
>>
>> --
>> Waddling Eagle
>> World Famous Flight Instructor
>

> The NTSB database contains many similar crash reports involving low level
> shooting activities in&from Cubs and similar aircraft. Most are stall-spin
> and CFIT but IIRC a surprising number are also directly gunshot related.
> IMHO, The activities cost outcomes seem to be greater than any marginal and
> temporary benefit.
>
> Happy landings,

Probably a good thing the pilot broke his legs on landing. Otherwise he
might have killed his passenger. :D

I have this image of Sean Connery in the plane with Indiana Jones.
"They got us, Son."