From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> writes:
> now I did have a proposal that predated RP3 ... that would intermix blue
> Iliad (first 32bit 801 chip design) and 370 boards ... big problem
> getting to something like 96 boards (aka processors) per rack ... was
> all heat issues. old post/reference
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#17 mainframe and microprocessor

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#77 Notes on two presentations by Gordon Bell ca. 1998

in that time-frame, endicott was shipping vm/pc ... a 370 board for the
xt/pc (xt/370) ... a couple motorola chips that did 370 subset at about
100kips. however, i was looking a 3chip-set from germany that did full
370 at 3mips (aka 30 times faster) ... and blue iliad was targeted at
running 20 (801) mips. blue iliad was an enormous chip that ran really
hot ... contributing to never getting finished.

recent reference mentioning that endicott blamed me for 6month slip in
shipping vm/pc ... I had done some thruput measurements and identified
it was page thrashing quite a bit ... and that resulted in six month
slip while they re-engineered with another 128kbytes of memory (to help
with page thrashing ... however, I also provided them with enhanced page
replacement algorithm especially in memory constrained environment and
an improved filesystem)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#8 What was the historical price of a P/390?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#10 What was the historical price of a P/390?

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Del Cecchi on

"Anne & Lynn Wheeler" <lynn(a)garlic.com> wrote in message
> Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> writes:
>> now I did have a proposal that predated RP3 ... that would intermix
>> blue
>> Iliad (first 32bit 801 chip design) and 370 boards ... big problem
>> getting to something like 96 boards (aka processors) per rack ...
>> was
>> all heat issues. old post/reference
>> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#17 mainframe and
>> microprocessor
>
> re:
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#77 Notes on two presentations
> by Gordon Bell ca. 1998
>
> in that time-frame, endicott was shipping vm/pc ... a 370 board for
> the
> xt/pc (xt/370) ... a couple motorola chips that did 370 subset at
> about
> 100kips. however, i was looking a 3chip-set from germany that did
> full
> 370 at 3mips (aka 30 times faster) ... and blue iliad was targeted
> at
> running 20 (801) mips. blue iliad was an enormous chip that ran
> really
> hot ... contributing to never getting finished.

Blue idiot didn't get finished for a plethora of reasons. I finally
came to the conclusion that the group doing it in Los Gatos were, to
put it politely, too "research oriented". Rather than do something
that worked they were always chasing rainbows or something. I mean, 8
level cascode current switch logic? Brad Dunham place and route? If
they had delivered something the gravy train would have ended.

snip

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
"Del Cecchi" <delcecchi(a)gmail.com> writes:
> Blue idiot didn't get finished for a plethora of reasons. I finally
> came to the conclusion that the group doing it in Los Gatos were, to
> put it politely, too "research oriented". Rather than do something
> that worked they were always chasing rainbows or something. I mean, 8
> level cascode current switch logic? Brad Dunham place and route? If
> they had delivered something the gravy train would have ended.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#77 Notes on two presentations by Gordon Bell ca. 1998
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#78 Notes on two presentations by Gordon Bell ca. 1998

folklore is that one of the people that worked on blue iliad (including
their last two weeks *after* they gave notice) ... went on to be principal
architect of pa-risc and pa-wide word
http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2001/apr-jun/itanium.html

some old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#email811006
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#email811006b
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#email811113
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#email811115

in this post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#65 801 (was Re: Reviving Multics

other old email mentioning 801, iliad, romp, etc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#801

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Del Cecchi` on
Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> "Del Cecchi" <delcecchi(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>>Blue idiot didn't get finished for a plethora of reasons. I finally
>>came to the conclusion that the group doing it in Los Gatos were, to
>>put it politely, too "research oriented". Rather than do something
>>that worked they were always chasing rainbows or something. I mean, 8
>>level cascode current switch logic? Brad Dunham place and route? If
>>they had delivered something the gravy train would have ended.
>

> re:
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#77 Notes on two presentations by Gordon Bell ca. 1998
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#78 Notes on two presentations by Gordon Bell ca. 1998
>
> folklore is that one of the people that worked on blue iliad (including
> their last two weeks *after* they gave notice) ... went on to be principal
> architect of pa-risc and pa-wide word
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2001/apr-jun/itanium.html
>
> some old email
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#email811006
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#email811006b
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#email811113
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#email811115
>
> in this post
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#65 801 (was Re: Reviving Multics
>
> other old email mentioning 801, iliad, romp, etc
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#801

I don't know about architecture folks, but the circuit folks were pretty
overambitious, to be polite about it.

Those interested, there was a paper about it at ISSCC although they
never did get hardware that I am aware of.

To be historical, there was supposed to be a 5100 followon that would
use Blue Iliad. The manager of the group got all upset when we proposed
a bipolar gate array implementation alternative. He eventually went to
boca and presided over the System/23 and later went to DEC. Dennis
Roberson. Wonder what happened to him?

del