From: Robert Myers on
Three R Myers prizes to G Bell for the second presentation. Others
may be interested in different things from that which got my
attention.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/gbell/ISHPC99.ppt

(My comments are in parentheses)

Bell-Hillis Bet slide (this business is really about massive single-
image egos)
ARPA-funded product development failed (doesn't mention effect of DoD
directive about COTS, though)
ASCI: DOE-funded product purchases creates competition (HAHAHAHAHA)
First efforts in startups... all failed. (Left off the role of the
DoE in assuring continuing domination by IBM.)
Supercomputing is for the large and rich (Is that a statement of fact
or a definition? My desktop will run circles around the
supercomputers I used to use and that I still think of as the genuine
article.)
Beowulf, shrink wrap cluters (no negative comments, but who is Gordon
Bell being paid by... a mfr of shrink-wrap software)
Virtuous Economic Cycle that drives the PC industry (should have
monoculture, not standards in the center).
(Even a picture of Gordon Bell with an NT (!) cluster)
You should /not/ focus NSF CS Research on parallelism. I can barely
write a correct sequential program." Don Knuth 1987 (to Gbell... of
course)
Non-U.S. users continue to use vectors (no AF captains to drive things
back to familiar territory--PC's--in Europe)
Interconnecton networks log(p) continue to be the challenge (unless
you are using a router chip per node, which scales as p/n, where n is
the number of processors per node)
Russian Elbrus E2K Micro
What is the Processor Architecture (slam dunk for vectors, good reason
to close down CS departments wholesale)
It's memory bandwidth, cache prediction, inter-communication, and
overall variation (G Bell gets an R Myers prize for getting it).
Execution efficiencies of Community Climate Model Version 2 (why this
fluid mechanicist has such contempt for the Top 500 list).
Are US users being denied tools? (well, no. they have been sold on
stupid tools)
Do larger scale, faster, longer run times, increase problem insight
and not just total flop or flops (second R Myers prize to G Bell in
one presentation)
Challenge to funders: Is the cost justified? (THREE R Myers prizes to
G Bell in one presentation).

Robert.
From: nedbrek on
Hello all,

"Robert Myers" <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Three R Myers prizes to G Bell for the second presentation. Others
> may be interested in different things from that which got my
> attention.
>
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/gbell/ISHPC99.ppt
>
> What is the Processor Architecture (slam dunk for vectors, good reason
> to close down CS departments wholesale)

Are you saying vectors are good or bad? And is it short vectors (SSE) or
long vectors (Arana)?

Ned

From: Robert Myers on
On Jan 31, 8:24 pm, "nedbrek" <nedb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> "Robert Myers" <rbmyers...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Three R Myers prizes to G Bell for the second presentation.  Others
> > may be interested in different things from that which got my
> > attention.
>
> >http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/gbell/ISHPC99.ppt
>
> > What is the Processor Architecture (slam dunk for vectors, good reason
> > to close down CS departments wholesale)
>
> Are you saying vectors are good or bad?  And is it short vectors (SSE) or
> long vectors (Arana)?

That was my comment on Gordon Bell's slide, which summarized two
artificially-opposed points of view. I like his false dichotomy,
though.

CS departments and much of the discussion here have focused on
approaches that are essentially dead-ends--academic masturbation for
those with CS degrees.

SSE is better than nothing, but my long-term bet is on streaming
architectures, which are a generalization of Cray-style vector
parallelism.

NO MORE NEW LANGUAGES. Asm only, if necessary, but figure out how to
expand the space that can be handled with a streaming paradigm.
Fortunately, GPGPU will save us from all of the expensive mistakes the
US has been making ever since Seymour left the scene. That's my hope,
anyway.

Robert.

From: Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at on
Robert Myers wrote:
> SSE is better than nothing, but my long-term bet is on streaming
> architectures, which are a generalization of Cray-style vector
> parallelism.
>
> NO MORE NEW LANGUAGES. Asm only, if necessary, but figure out how to
> expand the space that can be handled with a streaming paradigm.
> Fortunately, GPGPU will save us from all of the expensive mistakes the
> US has been making ever since Seymour left the scene. That's my hope,
> anyway.

Pure streaming architectures, even in the form of GPGPU, are dead.

There is absolutely no way to get enough bandwidth for a pure streaming
core, you have to have caches.

What will determine your actual throughput is how well you can partition
your problem into parts that can be reused at least a few times (i.e.
cached) and those that cannot and have to be streamed by instead.

The crucial part of streaming is simply that it makes it explicit that
these inputs should not and must not pollute the caches!

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>
From: nedbrek on
Hello all,

"Terje Mathisen" <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"> wrote in message
> Robert Myers wrote:
>> SSE is better than nothing, but my long-term bet is on streaming
>> architectures, which are a generalization of Cray-style vector
>> parallelism.
> >
>> Fortunately, GPGPU will save us from all of the expensive mistakes the
>> US has been making ever since Seymour left the scene. That's my hope,
>> anyway.
>
> Pure streaming architectures, even in the form of GPGPU, are dead.

Terje is right. Even GPUs are moving to short vectors (for ray tracing).
Long vectors are just so specialized, there is no market for them.

The super guys are riding the coat tails of product oriented towards
consumers. That's why clusters are so important. They're the only way to
get more power. Long vectors are "embarassingly parallel", so you can use
just about any method to exploit them.

Ned