From: Herb on
On Dec 31, 7:03 am, "Herb(a)MAWS" <her...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 12:43 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
>
> <peter.potamus.the.purple.hi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Herb wrote:

> > > this is my chrome.css file -- I don't see anything here identifiable:
>
> > > /* Change Browser Fonts */
> > > * { font-size: 10pt !important;
> > > font-family: arial !important; }
>
> > > /* Folderpane(color/text) & Messagepane(color) */
> > > treechildren {
> > > background-color: #FFE6FF !important;
> > > font-family: arial !important;
> > > font-size: 9pt !important; }
>
> > close TB, remove the file userChrome.css.  Restart TB.
> >   Does the problem continue?
>
> > --
> > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
> > help!!!!
>
> > Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public
>
> > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3http://www.toon...
>
> ==========================
>
> Yes problem continues.  As a matter of fact before I removed
> userChrome.css file, all NGs vanished -- all I saw was the Account
> name in the folder list.
>
> [userChrome.css file is removed and saved to desktop, but is not in
> Profile folder.]
>
> Heard back from TeraNews -- no apparent issues at their end and no
> change in number of NGs permitted (unlimited).
>
> So, removed userChrome.css file from Profile folder and deleted the
> Teranews account -- and re-created Teranews account.  Reloaded 2 NGs
> (very slow process, seemed to make TB unstable).  Exited out of TB,
> came back in and only 1 of the 2 NGs re-loaded were there.
>
> Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
> reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

One more thing I've noticed: In Task Mgr, thunderbird.exe isn't
shutting down for a few minutes, even after TB windows close. Entire
program seems very unstable at moment. Using approx 575,000K memory
usage -- I don't know if that should be the normal, approximate amount.
From: Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo on
Herb(a)MAWS wrote:

> I signed up -- when the NGs load, I don't even see this NG when I
> search for alt.fan.mozilla -- should I?

yes, it should be there. I've posted to this group from
there many times. Did you register? Did you follow the
instructions?:
http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=faq#Login-No-Auth

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
From: Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo on
Herb(a)MAWS wrote:

> Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
> reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

if you uninstall, all you're doing is removing the
program. The profile is NOT touched. The profile is
where the vast majority of problems are.

From: HKL on
On 12/31/2009 1:51 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Herb(a)MAWS wrote:
>
>> I signed up -- when the NGs load, I don't even see this NG when I
>> search for alt.fan.mozilla -- should I?
>
> yes, it should be there. I've posted to this group from there many
> times. Did you register? Did you follow the instructions?:
> http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=faq#Login-No-Auth

Peter and Ed -- Thanx for your help. Seems to be working fine with new
profile. Every time I try to use the old profile, it pretty much
freezes TB. With new profile, TB uses about 51K memory, with the old
profile, it was using 575,000K.

Disregard my questions about Eternal September -- I've signed up and
configured it to ''always authenticate'', which is why I wasn't seeing
the other groups. If I ever need to use it, I've got it set up &
ready-to-go.

I've learned to not always try to figure out the "why" of a problem
occurring -- just git'er fixed, which the new profile seems to have
accomplished. I suspect the problem has something to do with the dozen
or so add-ons I found in TB after upgrading to v3.0 -- altho I did not
put them there. I'm not an "add-on kinda guy". Strange, at best.

I'll give the new profile 24 hrs of operating time before I delete the
old one -- just in case the issue reoccurs with the new profile.
From: Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo on
HKL wrote:

> Yes, son and wife use machine but they don't mess with add-ons -- they
> surf or do school papers -- and that's about it. I checked and no one
> has done anything like that. I disabled all add-ons, but it did not
> matter.

since you have many people also using your computer,
then you don't know for sure that they aren't the ones
doing the messing. They could be changing things and
aren't telling you.

There's always a way to remedy these sort of things.
Why don't you set each one up with their own profile?
So, now you will have 3 profiles. One for wife, one
for son, and one for you. You can also set it up so
each one will have their own TB icon to start TB. You
can also set yours up with a master password, so this
way they can't get in your profile and change things.

If you also use the Firefox browser, then you can do
the same with that.

When things are done this way, no matter how much your
wife and son messes with "their" profile, it will not
affect yours.

All this is just a suggestion, though!