From: philo on
KOB wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:21:28 -0600, philo wrote:
>

>> Though I switched to Linux as my main OS close to a year ago...
>> occasionally I still need to run a Windows application natively.
>
> philo,
> when did you drop OS/2? I thought I remembered you from the OS/2
> newsgroup days.

Ah

I never totally dropped it.

I have two working installations left...
one of them is ECS...it's on an AMD-550 and though it works...
is a bit on the slow side. I could not get ECS to install on my newer
hardware.

Also (due to removable drives) I have a working Warp3 installation on
that machine...but of course it's dial-up only and I've been on DSL for
a number of years now.

I like Warp 3 so much that I hated to give it up. There is a way to hack
it to get MPTS imported and running. It looked so complicated I never
tried it...but I really should have kept the instructions some where
From: RodMcKay on
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:35:29 +0000, Darklight
<nglennglen(a)netscape.net> wrote:

>if you want to try a distro which uses the nvidia driver try sabayon.
>
>I found it was the only live distro that use a nvidia driver straight
>off the bat. it even uses it when running from the cd.

Thanks, that's great.

The funny thing is that only Ubuntu-based distros have, as well as
Knoppix). All th other ones have great resolution right
out-of-the-box.

I don't know how that can be if they don't actually have the nvidia
drivers, either. Perplexing. But I have nice, full resolution on
F11, so I can use it without eye strain. Never thought I'd get
eye-strain but I forced myself yesterday to work in Ubuntu for about
10 minutes and gave up in disgust! <g> Having too big a screen as
just as bad as too small a one, I found. <g>

From: RodMcKay on
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:21:28 -0600, philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>RodMcKay wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 06:34:50 -0600, philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> RodMcKay wrote:

[snip]

>For the most part...
>the guys I work with are about my daughter's age...
>and they work more hours than I do...
>but since I've got more experience...I usually get more done than they do.

This is true. And the trouble with generalizations is, that's exactly
what they are. For the first time in my life, I accepted a minimum
wage contract recently (before landing my current contract) and I
worked alongside a young 25-year old man who has a work ethic one
doesn't usually see in one so young.

What I meant about work pertains more to those of us in the lower
echelons, clerks and such. There you see really lazy people who do
the absolute minimum while they talk up a _great_ storm! <sigh> Well,
that seems to be the way the world is heading ...

So I was merely generalizing, of course. In upper management, long
hours are much more common, too, of course and always have been.

[snip]

>> I've met/seen most of the famous people in real life including the
>> grande dame, Major Barrett-Roddenberry herself in 1993. I'm glad I
>> met and spoke with her briefly while she kindly signed something for
>> me as she passed away fairly recently.
>
>I've met a few famous people and once in a while get a reply when I send
> someone an email.
>
>I've found out that the bigger someone is...
>the more likely it is I'll actually get a reply.

True and my only experience has been with regards to the conventions.
When we went to Pasadena in 1993 to what is called the yearly Grand
Slam convention, we also took in the sights. You can imagine, two
30-something Trekker gals from Canada going to Hollywood! I mean,
what a hoot. We're both from our nation's capital (like being from
Washington in the US), but we felt like country bumpkins down there!
<g>

We visited Paramount (of course!!) and it was so kewl. We were
touring the grounds when gorgeous Marina Sirtis who played Troi walked
by (within 5 feet of me!! God, hard not to be jealous of that lovely
woman! <g>) and she responded kindly to a question shouted at her by
one of the people in our tour group! And then when I rounded a
corner, a door opened up a couple feet in front of me and Ted Danson
walked out. Man, is he _ever_ such an approachable person! He had a
kind word for our group and wished us all well, which we, of course,
returned. Hard to think of what things are like now after 9/11. I'm
sure touring Paramount and other studios in such a way is probably not
possible. Sad!

>The worst ones are those who are semi-famous and think they are too big
>to speak to the general public !

Yes. Very true.

[snip]

>No sci-fi conventions for me...
>but I do occasionally enjoy a good movie.

Well, I'd heard of them for years but went to my first one at the age
of 28. I love them, to tell you the truth. It's just all good fun.
Good way to meet with people who like what you do. As you can
imagine, my friend and I were open to meeting a couple of nice fellas
in Pasadena, but it didn't happen. Ah well, too far apart anyway <g>.

>also I enjoy a movie that is so God-awfully horrible that it's funny...
>such as Plan 9 from Outer Space...
>and the 1959 Cadillac hubcap flying saucers <G>

I'm generally not into B movies, but my favourite is "The Day the
Earth Stood Still". Keanu's was good, but couldn't touch the
original!

And though I only saw it last year, believe it or not, the original
"War of the Worlds" was pretty good, too.

>>> Punch cards how I hated them.
>>> Even as late as 1979 I can recall using them!
>>
>> If DOS was bad with how you always had to know syntax right down to
>> every single dot and command, I can't even begin to imagine how hard
>> punch cards were! Whenever I think of them, I'm reminded of the Don
>> Knotts movie where he's a computer expert!! <g> He had to punch in a
>> ton of stuff just to get a very simple solution! Hilarious.
>>

>Back in those days...it took a full week to get one program done.
>With the punch cards, if there was a single typo...
>even a missing non-ambiguous parentheses...the entire program would be
>spit back at you

Yup. Thought so. Nope. Glad we're beyond those days <lol>.

[snip]

>>> Anyway a Live CD (IMHO) is only good for having a glimpse into what
>>> Linux is. I suggest you do an actual install...perhaps pop another HD
>>> into the machine. An alternative would be to use a virtual machine from
>>> within Windows and install there

Yes, I of course realize that. I've answered this advice elsewhere,
can't do this right now. As soon as I can afford one, I will be
getting an additional 500 gig external drive. The one I have now is
practically full so I can't transfer all the stuff off my 200 gig hdd
to it. So LiveCDs have been filling the gap. And they're doing the
job very well.

It's also been great since I have few worries while I've been on
LiveCD. I really experimented yesterday and knew that all the changes
I made would disappear once I got out. Though I didn't do anything
major, didn't have to be as cautious as when I'd first started on
Window$. I don't know my way well enough around Linux yet to get
myself out of any hot water I might get myself into! <lol>

Thanks for the advice. It's evident that that's the case, but another
reason is that within next week or two I'll be handing off disks to
family members so I need to know the ins and outs beforehand re the
CDs themselves, too, anyway.

>Though I switched to Linux as my main OS close to a year ago...
>occasionally I still need to run a Windows application natively.
>
>All my machines have removable drive kits and I can change OS's at
>will...and I have two machines in my office and a KVM switch
>so can run Windows and XP simultaneously if i need to.

I don't have space or money for a second box but I've been thinking
that for those apps that I absolutely can't live without, that I'll
see what this virtual box is all about. I've virtualized a few apps
in last six months so I'm familiar with the concept but that was
Win->Win. Will look into what's possible Win->Linux. Kewl stuff.

---
One really good thing that happened yesterday and something for
Window$ users to be aware of, my brother entrusted me with his
precious music collection to rip and transfer to his Sony Walkman.
Nothing worked in transferring with XP. I finally got it to recognize
the player but nothing else. Ended up doing the job with Linux with
_NO_ fuss, no muss!

Take _THAT_ M$!!!

>> How did the play time with kitty-cat go? <g>
>
>I didn't get any scratches on me...
>my wife thinks I'm worse than a 12 year old kid...and she's right!

That's great! Hey, life's too short!

I haven't had an animal companion since 2003 and miss that. Enjoy
your kitty-cat! <g>

From: philo on
RodMcKay wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:21:28 -0600, philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> RodMcKay wrote:

<portions snipped for brevity>

> So I was merely generalizing, of course. In upper management, long
> hours are much more common, too, of course and always have been.

One thing I can say about the guys I work with...
they are hard workers...just not all of them are terribly efficient.

> We visited Paramount (of course!!) and it was so kewl. We were
> touring the grounds when gorgeous Marina Sirtis who played Troi walked
> by (within 5 feet of me!! God, hard not to be jealous of that lovely
> woman! <g>) and she responded kindly to a question shouted at her by
> one of the people in our tour group! And then when I rounded a
> corner, a door opened up a couple feet in front of me and Ted Danson
> walked out. Man, is he _ever_ such an approachable person! He had a
> kind word for our group and wished us all well, which we, of course,
> returned. Hard to think of what things are like now after 9/11. I'm
> sure touring Paramount and other studios in such a way is probably not
> possible. Sad!

Lets see...If I recall correctly, I went to Universal Studios
and saw the fake shark that was used in the movie "Jaws"

Wow did I ever laugh as it was so obviously made out of rubber
and so obviously fake!

Of course a few years later I was at an aquarium and saw a real shark...

yep you guessed it...it looked fake and like it was made out of rubber!

>> The worst ones are those who are semi-famous and think they are too big
>> to speak to the general public !
>
> Yes. Very true.
>
> [snip]
>
>> No sci-fi conventions for me...
>> but I do occasionally enjoy a good movie.
>
> Well, I'd heard of them for years but went to my first one at the age
> of 28. I love them, to tell you the truth. It's just all good fun.
> Good way to meet with people who like what you do. As you can
> imagine, my friend and I were open to meeting a couple of nice fellas
> in Pasadena, but it didn't happen. Ah well, too far apart anyway <g>.

I've been to LA many times but the last time I was there was maybe 15
years ago. I have a friend who was a music promoter...who had a friend
who produced videos. In turn the friend had a friend who was non other
than Paul Rothchild

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_A._Rothchild

We went up to his house. and did he ever have some amazing stories...
can't believe I was there. He told us the woodwork in his house was all
done by Harrison Ford...who earned his living that way before he made it
in the movies.

We went into Paul's den and there was not a chair for me...
so I just sat down on a box. Paul said to me:

"Don't bother getting up...but do you know what you are sitting one?"

(What)

"All the master tapes to the 'Doors' "

I think I moved to the floor at that point

<the rest is snipped because I can't beat that one>
> On worse than a 12 year old kid...and she's right!
>
> That's great! Hey, life's too short!
>
> I haven't had an animal companion since 2003 and miss that. Enjoy
> your kitty-cat! <g>

Good kitty cat...

I threw a bunch of paper balls at her this morning.

From: KOB on
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:09:22 -0600, philo wrote:

> KOB wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:21:28 -0600, philo wrote:
>>

>>> Though I switched to Linux as my main OS close to a year ago...
>>> occasionally I still need to run a Windows application natively.
>>
>> philo,
>> when did you drop OS/2? I thought I remembered you from the OS/2
>> newsgroup days.
>

> Ah
>
> I never totally dropped it.
>
> I have two working installations left... one of them is ECS...it's on an
> AMD-550 and though it works... is a bit on the slow side. I could not
> get ECS to install on my newer hardware.
>
> Also (due to removable drives) I have a working Warp3 installation on
> that machine...but of course it's dial-up only and I've been on DSL for
> a number of years now.
>

> I like Warp 3 so much that I hated to give it up. There is a way to hack
> it to get MPTS imported and running. It looked so complicated I never
> tried it...but I really should have kept the instructions some where

God help you if you ever post from Warp in the Linux groups. Do you have
ProNews/2? IMO, the best newsreader made. Thinking of firing up my OS/2
box and posting to the linux groups, just to make them read the headers
and get mad!!