From: TJ on
philo wrote:

> Of course they did tell us that a lot of things...on film look better if
> fake. Rocks in rock-slide scenes are made from painted foam rubber...
> they said that real rocks look fake on film , Foam rubber rocks bounce a
> lot more and look dramatic

Their entitled to their opinion, I suppose. Perhaps it's because I've
spent a lifetime hauling rocks off my fields and throwing them in piles,
but I've always been able to tell when they use the foam rubber rocks -
they bounce *too* much!

TJ
From: TJ on
RodMcKay wrote:

> Once I know the ins and outs of Fedora well enough, if it turns out
> that there's something more secure, better, etc., then I will go with
> that, by then having enough knowledge, of course, to make the
> superficial changes that will allow for type of look and feel that I
> standardize to.

All of the major distros are stable, as long as you stick to the
"official" releases. The releases still under development are something
else again. Stay away from those.

> And that will also depend on whether or not I have to
> stay with Window$. I don't foresee being able to work in a
> computer-free job anytime soon but one day when I have my own
> business, I will be able to work any old job on the side. Then I'll
> have just Linux at home and that will free me up completely and I
> won't care about keeping as similar a look as to what I have to use
> at work - I'll then be left with only worrying about working in as
> fast/efficient/logical manner with the least fuss and muss - always
> my goals <g>.

Obviously written by someone who has never been seriously self-employed.
If you run your own business, you'll want that computer. And depending
on the nature of that business, you may find that you'll need specialty
software that just isn't available under Linux.

Take my profession, for example. I'm a farmer. There are a number of
expensive specialty programs that do this and that for farmers, but to
my knowledge none of them work with Linux. I'm a small farmer, and I
don't really need any of those programs, nor can I justify the cost, so
I do without them. But were I bigger, things would be very different. I
would still use Linux for all of my Internet activity, because Windows
is just too vulnerable. But I would also have Windows, so I could run
those specialty programs. As it is I still have an active Windows 98SE
installation, but that's mostly because I'm too lazy to go through the
learning curve for the Linux equivalents of a couple of programs I use
once or twice a year.

I have two tractors, quite different from each other. When I have a job
to do, I use the tractor best-suited to that particular job. I do the
same with my computer OS.

TJ
From: philo on
TJ wrote:
> philo wrote:
>>

>> Of course they did tell us that a lot of things...on film look better
>> if fake. Rocks in rock-slide scenes are made from painted foam rubber...
>> they said that real rocks look fake on film , Foam rubber rocks bounce
>> a lot more and look dramatic
>>
> Their entitled to their opinion, I suppose. Perhaps it's because I've
> spent a lifetime hauling rocks off my fields and throwing them in piles,
> but I've always been able to tell when they use the foam rubber rocks -
> they bounce *too* much!
>
> TJ

LOL

being Hollywood I'd expect fake rocks of course.

I do recall seeing rock slides in movies and wondering if they'd really
bounce than much...now I know that in real life...they would not.

That reminds me of something:

About 15 years ago I put in a rock garden behind my house...

An old farmer told me I could have a pile of rocks that was on his
land...and it took me several trips to get them all in my truck
and haul them away.

He told me that he gave them away once before to someone who put in a
rock garden...decided they did not want it...then hauled all the rocks
back. He told me that he did not want me to bring them back a few years
later.

It was back-breaking work and I *assured* him...there was no way in hell
I was ever going to touch those rocks once I got them in place.

But damn...what was I thinking...I could have just used those foam
rubber rocks. It would have saved my back...and they would have looked
so very good <G>
From: RodMcKay on
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:33:23 -0600, philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>TJ wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>>

>>> Of course they did tell us that a lot of things...on film look better
>>> if fake. Rocks in rock-slide scenes are made from painted foam rubber...
>>> they said that real rocks look fake on film , Foam rubber rocks bounce
>>> a lot more and look dramatic
>>>
>> Their entitled to their opinion, I suppose. Perhaps it's because I've
>> spent a lifetime hauling rocks off my fields and throwing them in piles,
>> but I've always been able to tell when they use the foam rubber rocks -
>> they bounce *too* much!
>>
>> TJ
>

>LOL
>

>being Hollywood I'd expect fake rocks of course.
>
>I do recall seeing rock slides in movies and wondering if they'd really
>bounce than much...now I know that in real life...they would not.
>

>That reminds me of something:
>
>About 15 years ago I put in a rock garden behind my house...
>
>An old farmer told me I could have a pile of rocks that was on his
>land...and it took me several trips to get them all in my truck
>and haul them away.
>
>He told me that he gave them away once before to someone who put in a
>rock garden...decided they did not want it...then hauled all the rocks
>back. He told me that he did not want me to bring them back a few years
>later.
>
>It was back-breaking work and I *assured* him...there was no way in hell
>I was ever going to touch those rocks once I got them in place.
>
>But damn...what was I thinking...I could have just used those foam
>rubber rocks. It would have saved my back...and they would have looked
>so very good <G>

<g> Hindsight is _always_ 20/20 ... ! :oD

From: RodMcKay on
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:59:08 -0500, TJ <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:

>RodMcKay wrote:
>>
>> Once I know the ins and outs of Fedora well enough, if it turns out
>> that there's something more secure, better, etc., then I will go with
>> that, by then having enough knowledge, of course, to make the
>> superficial changes that will allow for type of look and feel that I
>> standardize to.
>
>All of the major distros are stable, as long as you stick to the
>"official" releases. The releases still under development are something
>else again. Stay away from those.
>
>> And that will also depend on whether or not I have to
>> stay with Window$. I don't foresee being able to work in a
>> computer-free job anytime soon but one day when I have my own
>> business, I will be able to work any old job on the side. Then I'll
>> have just Linux at home and that will free me up completely and I
>> won't care about keeping as similar a look as to what I have to use
>> at work - I'll then be left with only worrying about working in as
>> fast/efficient/logical manner with the least fuss and muss - always
>> my goals <g>.
>>
>Obviously written by someone who has never been seriously self-employed.
>If you run your own business, you'll want that computer. And depending
>on the nature of that business, you may find that you'll need specialty
>software that just isn't available under Linux.
>
>Take my profession, for example. I'm a farmer. There are a number of
>expensive specialty programs that do this and that for farmers, but to
>my knowledge none of them work with Linux. I'm a small farmer, and I
>don't really need any of those programs, nor can I justify the cost, so
>I do without them. But were I bigger, things would be very different. I
>would still use Linux for all of my Internet activity, because Windows
>is just too vulnerable. But I would also have Windows, so I could run
>those specialty programs. As it is I still have an active Windows 98SE
>installation, but that's mostly because I'm too lazy to go through the
>learning curve for the Linux equivalents of a couple of programs I use
>once or twice a year.
>
>I have two tractors, quite different from each other. When I have a job
>to do, I use the tractor best-suited to that particular job. I do the
>same with my computer OS.
>
>TJ

True, except the nature of my business isn't as specialized as yours.
As far as I can tell, so far nothing tells me that Linux won't do the
job with basic software. I've had more trouble with the creative side
of the business. For that I _may_ have to rely on a couple of Window$
apps, at least for now but envision that VirtualBox will help in the
beginning, at least until I find good Linux equivalents. But that's
the _now_ portion of things.

If someone like me is ready to make the switch, yes a power user but
not with much experience in any of the areas that would make one think
I'd be a likely Linux candidate, then I see others switching OSs, too
in the near or distant future ... those even less likely than me! And
with that will come more applications for Linux. Supply and demand

After all, there have been businesses and business owners for
millennia before the advent of the computer. I refuse to believe that
if worse comes to worst, that I won't be able to figure out a
non-Window$ alternative. I'm finding all but my multimedia needs
being taken care of, but that's just a question of taking even more
time to look. I haven't right now because of requirements and
deadlines - my brother leaves on his trip this Friday and I promised
him as a Xmas gift to take care of transferring movies to his new MP3
Player. He'll not only have enough for each trip there and back but
for while he's there since my brother-in-law will be able to transfer
anything my brother wants from the DVD I'll provide him with extras.
It only, most unfortunately, supports WMV9 video so I didn't want the
hassle with going to Linux and then fighting with Window$-based codecs
plus I found the software to do the job quickly in Window$ already.

Once there's more time after he's gone, I can commit to the switch as
_MY_ Christmas gift. I have had to reinstall Window$ THREE times in
the past week and a half because for whatever reason, audio synch goes
out first out of anything. I had tested several video conversion apps
during that time which must have messed up codecs. And simply
reinstalling codecs _never_ works in Window$. If there's a problem,
only a clean computer fixes that. Lord but esp. now that there's a
light at the end of the tunnel (Linux), can't hold back my loathing
for this crappy WinXP OS!

Anyway, if all goes well, I'll have a working dual-boot system soon,
once I finish my urgent and pressing tasks. And then from there, will
work on figuring out how to go Linux full out!

Cheers. :oD