From: Benjamin Gawert on
* First of One:
> I always considered the HPs and Dells to be partially to blame for the
> fuckup. It's what they get for not doing integration testing on their own
> notebooks, inexcusable given how marginal the notebook cooling solutions
> usually are. Of course, the HPs and Dells may not feel that way.

Not every problem can be uncovered by standard "integration testing",
and the cooling solutions in their notebooks very likely keep the GPUs
within the specifications provided by Nvidia. If you want your notebook
to be on the market while its hardware is still current and if you want
to be able to sell it at a price that is attractive to the market then
there is a limit how much and how long you can test something. Also,
flaws like the G84/G86 problem usually only show up after a certain
(varying) amount of time, and even then not in every unit.

Benjamin
From: Benjamin Gawert on
* Thomas Womack:

> I've just ordered a GTX275 because CUDA seems so much less painful
> than ATI's GPGPU solution,

Unless you have CUDA applications that you need right now there is not
much sense to go for CUDA as it's future doesn't look really bright,
considering that OpenCL is at the door and the way for the GPGPU future.

Benjamin