From: "Clarke Rice" on
On 18 Mar 2010 at 7:55, Robert A Williams wrote:

> For information only, Microsoft Office 2007can open a DOCX, and can re-save
> it as .doc and other Microsft formats, and if Service pack 2 is installed it
> can also open and save in Open Document format.

For further information, the 'docx' of Office 2010 is not exactly the same as the 'docx' of
Office 2007... both are XML based though.

If you recall, the Office 2007 format was sent to ISO for approval but was eventually given
approval only after some changes were made. Office 2010 apparently implements the ISO-
approved version.

I don't know if this means earlier versions of Office are now unable to open Office 2010
files, or if they can be opened anyway. Nor do I know if other applications with DOCX
(2007) support are affected.

Clarke

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Michael Adams on
On Thursday 18 March 2010 08:26, PJH wrote:
> PJH has written on 3/17/2010 3:23 PM:
> >
> > You're saying that the person with Office 2007 should install an ODF
> > plugin?
>
> I looked at that website and I was right.
>
> However, that is not practical when there are large numbers of Office
> 2007 installed.
>
> And why should those people do anything to make their stuff palatable to
> OOo users? "Let 'em buy Office 2007!!!" I don't see any motivation for a
> dyed-in-the-wool MS user to want to use ODF, do you?

For one, Office 2007 does not produce OOXML quality .docx files as the product
was launched[1] before the file format (1st edition) was released by Ecma[2],
and way before the standard ISO/IEC 29500:2008[3] (Ecma 2nd edition[2]) was
accepted. So the file format was not settled in that product. It will be
orphaned off over time.

Should OO.o or any other program read the Microsoft Office 2007 saved file
format or the correct version as used by Office 2010? They are not mutually
compatible.

[1]
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/nov06/11-062007officertmpr.mspx
[2] http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm
[3]
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_tc_browse.htm?commid=45374
and
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=51463

HTH
--
Michael

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Gordon Burgess-Parker on
On 17/03/2010 19:26, PJH wrote:

> I looked at that website and I was right.
>
> However, that is not practical when there are large numbers of Office
> 2007 installed.

Office 2007 Service Pack 2 includes the (broken) MS "support" for odf so
you don't have to install anything in 2007.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Michael Adams on
On Saturday 20 March 2010 03:20, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> On 17/03/2010 19:26, PJH wrote:
> > I looked at that website and I was right.
> >
> > However, that is not practical when there are large numbers of Office
> > 2007 installed.
>
> Office 2007 Service Pack 2 includes the (broken) MS "support" for odf so
> you don't have to install anything in 2007.

That broken support is not recommended. I actually recommend the use of .DOC
files instead for Office 2007. The greatest user base have it.

--
Michael

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Robin Laing on
On 03/19/2010 02:04 PM, Michael Adams wrote:
> On Saturday 20 March 2010 03:20, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>> On 17/03/2010 19:26, PJH wrote:
>>> I looked at that website and I was right.
>>>
>>> However, that is not practical when there are large numbers of Office
>>> 2007 installed.
>>
>> Office 2007 Service Pack 2 includes the (broken) MS "support" for odf so
>> you don't have to install anything in 2007.
>
> That broken support is not recommended. I actually recommend the use of .DOC
> files instead for Office 2007. The greatest user base have it.

I always recommend the Sun (Oracle) plugin over the MSO one.

http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/

--
Robin Laing

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org