From: Lars Nooden on
On 2010-3-16 9:40 PM, PJH wrote:
> I had a friend with Office 2007 take that file and save it as Office
> 2003 and OOo has no problem with that.

The quick work-around is to have them install the ODF plugin:

http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/

That helps mitigate the DOCX problem closer to the source.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Dieter Loeschky on
Pete,

we will take care of this.

Regards,
Dieter

From: PJH on
Lars Nooden has written on 3/17/2010 6:09 AM:
> On 2010-3-16 9:40 PM, PJH wrote:
>> I had a friend with Office 2007 take that file and save it as Office
>> 2003 and OOo has no problem with that.
>
> The quick work-around is to have them install the ODF plugin:
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/
>
> That helps mitigate the DOCX problem closer to the source.

You're saying that the person with Office 2007 should install an ODF plugin?

--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority
off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more...
-- Mark Twain

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: PJH on
PJH has written on 3/17/2010 3:23 PM:
> Lars Nooden has written on 3/17/2010 6:09 AM:
>> On 2010-3-16 9:40 PM, PJH wrote:
>>> I had a friend with Office 2007 take that file and save it as Office
>>> 2003 and OOo has no problem with that.
>>
>> The quick work-around is to have them install the ODF plugin:
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/
>>
>> That helps mitigate the DOCX problem closer to the source.
>
> You're saying that the person with Office 2007 should install an ODF plugin?

I looked at that website and I was right.

However, that is not practical when there are large numbers of Office
2007 installed.

And why should those people do anything to make their stuff palatable to
OOo users? "Let 'em buy Office 2007!!!" I don't see any motivation for a
dyed-in-the-wool MS user to want to use ODF, do you?

--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.
- Frieda Norris

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Lars Nooden on
>> http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/
>>
>> That helps mitigate the DOCX problem closer to the source.
>
> You're saying that the person with Office 2007 should install an ODF
> plugin?

Yes. That's the fastest work around until they can arrange to upgrade
to a better suite. Follow the link above. The waste caused by
proprietary formats won't go away without a bit of conscious effort.
However, take any further discussion over to another list.

/Lars

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org