From: DA Morgan on
Stephen wrote:
> ....I'm not a DBA so I don't aspire to know this much about Oracle backup/recovery.
>
> Thanks for the quick answer.

Then my recommendation would be that you not try anything like this
again unless you are paid by the hour. ;-)

Billy's award is not one you would want to proudly display on your desk.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
From: bdbafh on
> And created a classic example of why RMAN through OEM should be used.

why, because it looks pretty on a mac?

-bdbafh

From: DA Morgan on
bdbafh(a)gmail.com wrote:
>>And created a classic example of why RMAN through OEM should be used.
>

> why, because it looks pretty on a mac?
>
> -bdbafh

No. Because it does things that are impossible to do without it.

The OEM suggestion was solely related to the fact that then Oracle
takes out the possibility of a newbie making a coding mistake when
hand authoring. Or would you prefer that the OP muck around in your
DB based on his current skill set.

Correction though: The Mac operating system, OSX/Darwin is UNIX. UNIX
as in BASH shell, as in vi, as in command line, as in open a terminal
window. Apple's G5s are not Windows and they are not iPODS. But yes
they are rather stylish aren't they. ;-)
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
From: Joel Garry on
>and I'm not a
>DBA so I don't aspire to know this much about Oracle backup/recovery.

You are performing DBA tasks, so you probably should aspire to know
what you are doing. Does your 24 hour estimate include all the ways to
speed up an import?

And when it really comes down to it, recovering data is to help users,
which in this case includes you. Having a job is just a side benefit.

You might also look into "transportable tablespaces" if you are intent
on doing this again.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"%SCRMAN-E-BITMAPOPE" - error message in an app. Guess they had to