From: Thanos on
Hello all,

I get the following errors when I run tnsping (and lsnrctl)

#tnsping orcldb

TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on 13-JUN-2005
07:30:20

Copyright (c) 1997, 2003, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Message 3511 not found; No message file for product=network,
facility=TNSTNS-03505: Message 3505 not found; No message file for
product=network, facility=TNS

It seems that status/error messages aren't found, but other Oracle DB tools
works fine.
Can anyone help me in solving this issue ?

Thanks
A.

From: DA Morgan on
Thanos wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I get the following errors when I run tnsping (and lsnrctl)
>
> #tnsping orcldb
>
> TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on 13-JUN-2005
> 07:30:20
>
> Copyright (c) 1997, 2003, Oracle. All rights reserved.
>
> Message 3511 not found; No message file for product=network,
> facility=TNSTNS-03505: Message 3505 not found; No message file for
> product=network, facility=TNS
>
> It seems that status/error messages aren't found, but other Oracle DB tools
> works fine.
> Can anyone help me in solving this issue ?
>
> Thanks
> A.

Set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable.

Seems like your .profile is in need of some adjustment.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
From: Thanos on
> Set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable.
> Seems like your .profile is in need of some adjustment.

ORACLE_HOME is correctly set.

Actually the oracle env vars are the following:

export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/orcldb
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
export ORA_NLS10=$ORACLE_HOME/nls/data
export NLS_LANG=Italian_Italy.WE8ISO8859P15
export ORACLE_SID=orcldb

Any advice ?

Thanks
A.

From: Frank van Bortel on
Thanos wrote:
>>Set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable.
>>Seems like your .profile is in need of some adjustment.
>

> ORACLE_HOME is correctly set.
>
> Actually the oracle env vars are the following:
>
> export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle
> export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/orcldb
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
> export ORA_NLS10=$ORACLE_HOME/nls/data
> export NLS_LANG=Italian_Italy.WE8ISO8859P15
> export ORACLE_SID=orcldb
>
> Any advice ?
>
> Thanks
> A.

Do env|grep ORA - not a copy/paste from a .profile, or
whatever file - it does not prove anything.
Also - what user? # is root standard!

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel
From: Sybrand Bakker on
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:09:57 +0200, "Thanos" <thanos.a(a)fastvebnet.it>
wrote:

>> Set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable.
>> Seems like your .profile is in need of some adjustment.
>
>ORACLE_HOME is correctly set.
>
>Actually the oracle env vars are the following:
>
>export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle
>export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/orcldb
>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
>export ORA_NLS10=$ORACLE_HOME/nls/data
>export NLS_LANG=Italian_Italy.WE8ISO8859P15
>export ORACLE_SID=orcldb
>
>Any advice ?
>
>Thanks
>A.

ORACLE_HOME is set incorrectly.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set incorrectly
ORA_NLS10 will not be used, it has to be ORA_NLS33, and has been set
incorrectly.
The correct values are documented in the installation manual.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA