From: Thanos on 13 Jun 2005 16:23
> ORACLE_SID is messed up. Probably should be orcldb. Look in /etc/oratab
> for valid values.
ORACLE_SID is correctly set to orcldb.
> In your profile, replace the hardcoded variables with the following
> ORACLE_SID= <<< put the correct sid here
> . oraenv
I tried this solutions but it doesn't work... i get the same errors.
Any other advice ?
From: Thanos on 13 Jun 2005 16:27
> I tried this solutions but it doesn't work... i get the same errors.
> Any other advice ?
BTW, as you can see language files are present on the system (oerr returns
correct error message):
[oracle(a)webdev oracle]$ tnsping
TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on 13-JUN-2005
Copyright (c) 1997, 2003, Oracle. All rights reserved.
TNS-03502: Message 3502 not found; No message file for product=network,
[oracle(a)webdev oracle]$ oerr tns 3502
03502, 00000, "Insufficient arguments. Usage: tnsping <address> [<count>]"
// *Cause: Some required command-line arguments are missing.
// *Action: Re-enter the command using the correct arguments.
From: Matthias Kleinicke on 13 Jun 2005 16:43
> export NLS_LANG=Italian_Italy.WE8ISO8859P15
maybe this is part of the problem. Have You tried with
Maybe the Italian language is not supported (or installed)?
From: Thanos on 13 Jun 2005 16:40
>> export NLS_LANG=Italian_Italy.WE8ISO8859P15
> maybe this is part of the problem. Have You tried with
> Maybe the Italian language is not supported (or installed)?
I tried with American language too, but it doesn't work :-(
From: HansF on 13 Jun 2005 17:02
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:27:50 +0200, Thanos interested us by writing:
>> I tried this solutions but it doesn't work... i get the same errors.
>> Any other advice ?
> BTW, as you can see language files are present on the system (oerr returns
> correct error message):
Guessing ... iirc, back in Oracle6, oerr looked in the Oracle Home for the
various message files. If that is still true, then an incomplete install,
or simply having copied the files from one environment to another, could
cause a similar situation.
Do you have any other oracle installations (any version, any product) on
that machine? Did the install abort at any time? Did you run all aspects
of the install, including the root.sh?
Again - everything I have ever seen around this points at a messed up
environment, usually through some poor mix 'n match of environment
variables and occasionally traced back to a mismatch between the Oracle
environment selected by the PATH being different from the one identified
by the ORACLE_SID. (That last can be created by appending the
$ORACLE_HOME/bin to an existing $PATH.)
Try a 'which tnsping' and 'whereis tnsping' to make sure you are running
the one you expect.
Try cd'ing to the directory under $ORACLE_HOME that contains tnsping and
run it from there by using ./tnsping. See if that changes things.
I have also noted that some of the recent 10g App Server stuff (such
as emctl) embeds the $ORACLE_HOME/bin (and other directories) into the
scripts found in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin - when copying from another
ORACLE_HOME, the original path is still there, messing things up royally
as the script still points at the orginal directories.
So, since I don't have a DB 10g handy, I'm guessing that another remote
possibility is to check whether tnsping is now a script which has
directories embedded. IOW - if it is a script, edit the one that should
be run to check the paths. If not as expected, I suspect some copy/move
happened that you have not discussed.
Needless to say, I give up. Let us know when/how you resolve it.
Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
*** I no longer assist with top-posted newsgroup queries ***