From: Stephen on
I was hasty and I did a cold backup incorrectly, I believe. I shut
the database down and backed up only the data files for one (out of 4
tablespaces). I started Oracle and proceeded to work on all 4
tablespaces. Today I needed to quickly roll back the tablespace I
"backed up", so I stopped Oracle and pasted the backed up datafiles
back in. Now Oracle won't start...

ORA-1113 signalled during: alter database open

Is there a command I can run to tell Oracle I am sure these data files
are consistent, and to let me open the database? Even point me in the
right direction and I will appreciate it.

Thanks,
Stephen

From: Sybrand Bakker on
On 16 Jun 2005 15:40:29 -0700, "Stephen" <slincali(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I was hasty and I did a cold backup incorrectly, I believe. I shut
>the database down and backed up only the data files for one (out of 4
>tablespaces). I started Oracle and proceeded to work on all 4
>tablespaces. Today I needed to quickly roll back the tablespace I
>"backed up", so I stopped Oracle and pasted the backed up datafiles
>back in. Now Oracle won't start...
>
>ORA-1113 signalled during: alter database open
>
>Is there a command I can run to tell Oracle I am sure these data files
>are consistent, and to let me open the database? Even point me in the
>right direction and I will appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>Stephen

Let me get this straight: you deliberately restored an incomplete
backup over a consistent database, and you now think you will be able
to get out of this *without* recovery?
You aren't serious, are you?

Sorry to say so: you just screwed up your database, and the only way
is to restore a *complete and consistent* backup and use your
archivelogs (the database is running in archivelog, isn't it) to
perform a complete recovery.
If you don't have archivelogs and you don't have a recent export, your
database is toast, and you just demonstrated you better shouldn't
touch Oracle.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
From: DA Morgan on
Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2005 15:40:29 -0700, "Stephen" <slincali(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I was hasty and I did a cold backup incorrectly, I believe. I shut
>>the database down and backed up only the data files for one (out of 4
>>tablespaces). I started Oracle and proceeded to work on all 4
>>tablespaces. Today I needed to quickly roll back the tablespace I
>>"backed up", so I stopped Oracle and pasted the backed up datafiles
>>back in. Now Oracle won't start...
>>
>>ORA-1113 signalled during: alter database open
>>
>>Is there a command I can run to tell Oracle I am sure these data files
>>are consistent, and to let me open the database? Even point me in the
>>right direction and I will appreciate it.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Stephen
>

> Let me get this straight: you deliberately restored an incomplete
> backup over a consistent database, and you now think you will be able
> to get out of this *without* recovery?
> You aren't serious, are you?
>
> Sorry to say so: you just screwed up your database, and the only way
> is to restore a *complete and consistent* backup and use your
> archivelogs (the database is running in archivelog, isn't it) to
> perform a complete recovery.
> If you don't have archivelogs and you don't have a recent export, your
> database is toast, and you just demonstrated you better shouldn't
> touch Oracle.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

And created a classic example of why RMAN through OEM should be used.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
From: Billy on
I have an idea.. The Anual Best Cowboy Award for
Comp.Databases.Oracle.Server

Where the award goes to the person that demonstrates the best disregard
for professionalism, fundemental Oracle concepts, commen sense and
logic, and, while ignoring his damgerously low (or even non-existant!)
caffeine levels, grab a sawn-off 12 gauge shotgun (never mind his six
shooter) and proceed to blow away both his feet so that just two bloody
stumps remain.

Stephen, you have my nomination for this award. :-)

--
Billy

From: Stephen on
I was just trying to save myself 24 hours of importing dmp file, which
I do regularly, by trying something at the datafile level. Obviously I
was following some bad advice the way I did it, which was not the
complete backup I needed to do. I'll just recreate the instance and
pickup from there. It isn't production so no harm done and I'm not a
DBA so I don't aspire to know this much about Oracle backup/recovery.

Thanks for the quick answer.