From: Vincent Fatica on
From one Virtual OS (Vista) can I install a new one (Windows7) on the same
virtual drive, wiping out the old (Vista) installation? Host is XP/SP3.
Thanks.
--
- Vince
From: Bo Berglund on
On 12 Mar 2010 17:17:51 -0500, Vincent Fatica
<vince(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:

>From one Virtual OS (Vista) can I install a new one (Windows7) on the same
>virtual drive, wiping out the old (Vista) installation? Host is XP/SP3.
>Thanks.

Of course you can, but why would you want to do that?
Just delete the files for the old virtual machine (vmc and vhd) and
start over with a new via the VPC2007 wizard.
Why keep an old VHD and overwrite the contents? A VHD is much like a
hard drive, but unlike a real hard drive you can make as many VHD:s as
you like without extra cost.
Your idea does not make sense.
--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Vincent Fatica on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:46:57 +0100, Bo Berglund <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec>
wrote:

|On 12 Mar 2010 17:17:51 -0500, Vincent Fatica
|<vince(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:
|
|>From one Virtual OS (Vista) can I install a new one (Windows7) on the same
|>virtual drive, wiping out the old (Vista) installation? Host is XP/SP3.
|>Thanks.
|
|Of course you can, but why would you want to do that?
|Just delete the files for the old virtual machine (vmc and vhd) and
|start over with a new via the VPC2007 wizard.
|Why keep an old VHD and overwrite the contents? A VHD is much like a
|hard drive, but unlike a real hard drive you can make as many VHD:s as
|you like without extra cost.
|Your idea does not make sense.

Well, I don't want the Vista VPC any longer and installing over it would save me
making another VHD.
--
- Vince
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On 12 Mar 2010 20:36:37 -0500, Vincent Fatica
<vince(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:46:57 +0100, Bo Berglund <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec>
>wrote:
>
>|On 12 Mar 2010 17:17:51 -0500, Vincent Fatica
>|<vince(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:
>|
>|>From one Virtual OS (Vista) can I install a new one (Windows7) on the same
>|>virtual drive, wiping out the old (Vista) installation? Host is XP/SP3.
>|>Thanks.
>|
>|Of course you can, but why would you want to do that?
>|Just delete the files for the old virtual machine (vmc and vhd) and
>|start over with a new via the VPC2007 wizard.
>|Why keep an old VHD and overwrite the contents? A VHD is much like a
>|hard drive, but unlike a real hard drive you can make as many VHD:s as
>|you like without extra cost.
>|Your idea does not make sense.
>
>Well, I don't want the Vista VPC any longer and installing over it would save me
>making another VHD.

Making a VHD is just a mouse click in the new PC wizard.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP